Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch Hands/Pictures Up "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I just found some watch hands in a watch case tin and some have rust. What should I do to them so they won't get any worse? Or can I do something to them so they will stop rusting.
I don't see any rust through, seems to be on top. Some almost nothing and some is bad but not complete.
Any suggestions?

Will post a picture asap.

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Sheila,try soaking them in a cup of tea overnight. This will often remove the rust,but will not replace the bluing or plating.

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Not very good but will give you an idea what they look like.

Sheila

3 hands

posted
Sam, Thank you, I will try that. Big Grin

Next

Sheila

7 hands

posted
Next

Sheila

4hndswpen

posted
last

Sheila

4handss

posted
Sheila, May I recommend something to you as a beginning collector. As you progress in the hobby, you will come across many stray parts and pieces. Now is the time to begin puting together small boxes of parts, ie one for stray screws, one for stray hands, one for stray crowns, etc. Down the road this will give you a parts supply. This can pay you dividends in the future. When you have a specific part, ie a Waltham model 94 cannon pinion, be sure to label it in a small envelope. This way, you can come back later and retrieve it for a watch when you need it.

Tom

posted
TOM!
This is excelent!
I have been moving all kinds of pieces, all around the place, and they are still popping up, all over the place.

Some time ago I got a bunch of parts and gave them away to someone that could use them, but no matter what I do, I end up with more of them, even when I try not to have any.

You are so right about marking them, and storing them, this is great, I have been just tucking them here and there, I guess it's time to put these babies in order.

I'm going to try to clean these hands, then I'm going to put them in some perfect tins I have for just this kind of thing. I even have some new labels I can use.

Thank you! This simple little tip will save me a ton of headaches now, and in the future.

PS I'm sitting here looking at the sweet little watch you gave me, and it still makes me smile.
It sits upside down on the holder and just keeps ticking away. I want to get it worked on but still can't part with it yet. What a joy it has been. hug....

Sheila