Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Removing Fancy Metal Dial? help "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Do we have a post on the board that will show me how to remove the dial on this junk Swiss?? watch?
see pictures below (2)
# 1

Sheila

DialSil.jpg

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
OOPS! I was just noticing that this may be a silver piece just rolled over the movement.
Is this normal?

I don't think it's a dial at all.

It's metal, and if you look at the (bad) picture below you will notice that there is a dark space between the silvery parts to the right and left of it. This is where the silver stops and the movement is bare.

Did They make them like this?

I cleaned it some, and it looks a LOT nicer now too!

It looks Silver, Rose Gold, and Yellow Gold.
Would love to know if this is real silver and gold.
It's nice looking in person.

Am I going to hurt it if I clean it "good"?

Sheila

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Sheila, it looks like your movement has a snap-on (or snap-fit or bezel-fit) dial. These do not have feet, but instead have a lip on the edge of the dial that grips the edge of the movement. There are also enamel dials like this, with a metal rim or bezel, that snap onto the movement. These were used by many fine Swiss makers and even some American watches, like Howard.

The dial is removed by carefully pushing the edge up, gradually working your around the movement, perhaps several times, until the dial comes off.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry,
I think your right on target!

It looked like a junk watch to me, but since I only had one real bad metal dial, I thought I would get it since it had the 3 colors on it.
Thank you for the information! Great!

I do believe you are right, it does kinda bend over the movement just a tiny bit. I took a picture and although it's not good, you can see the different colors better. Will post below.

I'm also going to add one with the beat up case that came with it in the next post.

Thank you

Sheila

Silver_dial_clea.jpg

posted
This one has the beat up case with it.

That movement looks like a cheap one to me, but hey, I have a hard enough time with American watches, I wouldn't know a swiss if it bit me.
Big Grin

Sheila

Silw4.jpg

posted
I GOT THE DIAL OFF!!!

Taking a photo of a metal dial is terrible.

On the back is nothing but the letter L and right where the opening for the hands there is something written that is cut off, so what's left is the end of a word?

B or 8 ovy in what looks like a rounded corner rectangle.
If you have any idea what his is, let me know.

Sheila

Colors.jpg

posted
Cleaned but the pic is faded.

Sheila

britee.jpg

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
It is a nicely finished dial, ¿what is the size Sheila?

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Hi Carlos,
As best I can tell, about 37-38 mm or a little under 1 1/2 inches.
No idea what size it really is. Size? Swiss?

Thank you, I liked it too.
It cleaned up much better than the terrible pictures show it to be. The little bumps in the picturs hardly show with a loupe, and you can't see them at all with the eye.
Some of the pitfalls of close up pictures I guess!

It's actually cleaner than the pictures posted too, I got into the numbers and their clean now.
Just getting a metal dial to look right is terrible. I just can't get it. Always looks gold.

Sheila

posted
Sheila,
That's a nice looking dial. You realize that the next step is for you to take apart and clean that movement, don't you? Big Grin
I have a Swiss watch, ca. 1880s, with a "snap fit" dial; I had to push on the back of the dial, from inside the movement, to get it out, and it was held in place by some kind of "gunk" around the edge of the dial. I got most of it off.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004