Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hard to wind - fixed "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
I bought an Iroquois with broken teeth on the click wheel.

A week later, a parts movement became available and I was off to the races.

With the watch back together, it was still unusually tough to wind. I knew I did not have a stem riding on the case issue, wasn't a dust ring alignment issue...

So, I started working backward, one rotating part at a time... and found that, with the barrel plate removed and nothing but the winding wheel installed... the center bushing for the winding wheel was binding it to the barrel plate when the center screw was torqued.

Some of the Waltham's I've had apart have a shim here, under the center bushing. A triple zero dial washer fit like a champ and gave me just enough clearance to free the winding wheel and not affect the engagement to the stem.

Pardon the grime, this is the plate from the parts watch.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have been intrigued by the use of shims on all Illinois, but never on Elgins. Interesting difference with machine capability of the two different (and otherwise very capable) companies.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007