Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Reducing the Size of Watch Hand Holes "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bruce Bonbright
posted
I have a 16s Elgin model 247 with the 3fb and the minute hand is slipping...hole too loose. I measured the cannon pinion and the minute hand would need to be 0.86 in diameter. The minute hand I have is 0.90 and Elgin database indicates the hand size should be 0.92. And the length is 19mm. This is a learning exercise for me. I purchase movements that aren't working that great and try to fix them to improve my skills.

I'm thinking of using my staking set to close the hole on the existing minute hand, but before I try this I wanted to get the experience of our IHC185 members to see how they reduce the hole size in hands. Thanks -Bruce

Posts: 71 | Location: Hawaii in the USA | Registered: November 13, 2014
posted
Bruce take a look at John Duvall's "Helping Hands" tutorial on watch hands Fitting & Installation of Pocket Watch Hands.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I searched for "broaching" for a long time with no success because that word is not in the title, then someone pointed out that link for me.

That search will pick it up now so anyone searching for broaching pocket watch hands, just click on the link above.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bruce Bonbright
posted
Robert and Lorne, thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. The material was exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards, -Bruce

Posts: 71 | Location: Hawaii in the USA | Registered: November 13, 2014