WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

help to id mystery stake from my staking set please. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everybody, todd here.
so, i just got back from vacation and i would like to address a question that has been keeping me awake at night. i bought a beautiful old staking set in amazing condition, but there is one stake that i cannot figure out what it is for. it is the stake in the lower left of the pic with the white plastic "bobbin" on it.

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
i have played with the set extensively for learning purposes. i have used the balance staff remover and roller table remover on scrap movements, punched a couple of things, keep in mind i am very green. but i cannot for the life of me figure out what this stake is for. i am hoping it is a magical crystal scratch removing stake. i humbly await enlightenment from my proffessors.
Todd

dalarry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A Bow powered hand drilling accessory? Is the stake end suitable for mounting a jewelling drill?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi David, i am sure it is without a doubt a bow device, but the back end of the stake is a highly polished stump of brass, i am enclosing a very close up pic of it.

dalarry

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Todd and David. I also have a tool like this in my Boley set. Where yours has a brass tip on the end mine is of another material. It also is soft and removable so you have two ends to work with. I "assumed " and use mine for setting gold jewel settings in pocket watches. Works fine!. This might not be the original purpose but mine seems to like it.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Polishing?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I think it's for pressing the minute hand onto the cannon pinion? And for seconds hands too? I have one with a hard rubber tip and a steel knob/handle.

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1892
posted
I like Williams' idea! That occurred to me. I think in the future that may be what mine is used for.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
i still have to agree with David, it is some kind of bow device. the white plastic bobbin on top does not lend itself to any other use.
sorry for my english, as i am french

dalarry

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi I have been trying to up load some pics of mine but for some reason I cannot do. . The tip of mine is removable and is made of some soft material (bakelite?). It has a nice Caitlin like knob that is shaped like it was meant to push on. ie like to push down on a hand or??. Todd do you thing the tip of yours could have had a soft tip over top of the brass? I think I can see small groves in the brass that I can envision holding a little rubber? tip. Just a thought. If I get the picture thing sorted out I will post them.

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi John, if you take pics with your cell they will be small enough to post. thats the trick i use. it is possible you are right about the missing tip. when i get home i am going to look down the hole that is this stakes home with a flashlight and see if something fell off.
thanks
Todd

dalarry

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
i just realized, that stake may have lived somewhere else before i owned the set. i need to check all the holes!
thanks
Todd
thanks a lot!!
dam!!!!!
(misspelling intentional)

dalarry

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Todd; re. the picture situation. I use a good camera and then resize and clip to 640X ? which usually allows me to post. For some unknown reason when I click the "Reply to Post" button I get a page called "Blank Page-Internet Explorer".. When I use the "Quick Reply" I can post a message but as you know no pictures. I am pretty bad at this computer stuff so will have to get my 9 yr old granddaughter to help meSmile

IHC Member 1892
posted
Here are some pics of my "mystery tool"

IHC Member 1892
posted

IHC Member 1892
posted