Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend 429 Movement Removal "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Hi I wonder if there might be someone who could please explain to me how to remove a South Bend Model 429 movement from it’s case and replace it with a Studebaker mail-order. I was told to back out the detent screw a couple of turns first. I presume the detent screw is the small dark one to the left of and closest to the pendant on the 429 . I backed it out about 2 turns and pulled on the crown but it failed to come out. I decided to search this site and the web for more info and eventually came across a post that described the removal of a Hamilton 912 movement. Apparently it doesn't have a detent screw. The 2 case screws were removed, along with the front bezel and crystal, then the movement was wiggled out through the dial side of the case. Is that the same procedure used with the South Bend...and if so is the procedure reversed (loosen detent screw 2 turns) when installing the Studebaker movement? I'd really appreciate it if someone could walk me through the steps. Thanks, Greg

Posts: 44 | Location: Hope, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: November 18, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Greg,

It looks like you do have a detent screw and it needs to be backed out far enough to pull the stem out. The problem is, if you loosen the screw too much, it will come out of the detent and may be difficult to put back if you're not familiar with working with small parts. If you're going to try this, try to hold the case with your right hand while gently pulling on the stem at the same time. While doing this loosen the detent screw a very little bit at a time while pulling and wiggling the stem. As soon as the stem pulls out, turn the detent screw back in a bit. Others may have better advise, but this is what I would do.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Thanks Roger, and was correct about the detent screw being the dark one to the left of the pendant?

Posts: 44 | Location: Hope, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: November 18, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Yes Greg, that is correct.

IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Ok the small screw was the detent screw. I turned it out slightly more than 2 turns and the crown/stem popped right out. I then screwed it back in and tryed to pop the movement out the back...no way. Close inspection reveals lips on the movement and dial that will only allow the movement to be removed out the dial side. Now I have a new obstacle to overcome because the front bezel is screwed on too tight to loosen with my fingers or the piece of rubber I have. At least I'm making headway and learning.

IHC Life Member
posted
Greg,

All movements will remove from the dial side. Most have 2 case screws, like yours. Some older 18S movements are held in with only 1 case screw and a pin on the opposite side that goes into a hole in the case. You will have to get the dial bezel off in order to remove the movement from the case. I suggest putting the rear cover on first, then work on getting the bezel off. Be careful not to break your crystal, especially if it is not a nice thick one. If you have some Rodico, flatten some out on your bench a little larger than the diameter of your case and push the bezel into it while turning counter clockwise. It should come loose pretty easily. After that is off remove the rear cover and two screws on the case edge that are holding the movement in the case and remove the movement out the front.

IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Success!! Thank-you Roger but I didn't have any Rodico so I tried a method from my new book "Practical Watch Repairing" by Donald de Carle. He suggested placing the watch dial down in the palm of your hand then placing the other on top and twisting. So simple yet effective. It came loose no problem. I put it all together then had a real problem getting the Crown/Stem into the Studebaker movement. I removed the movement and looked down the hole with my loupe and could see something blocking it. I knocked the movement against my hand several times and out popped a 3/8" piece of broken off stem. After that everything went together nicely. Thanks again Roger for your help.

IHC Life Member
posted
Congratulations! Beautiful watch!

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1752
Picture of Greg Taylor
posted
Thank-you Evan.

IHC Life Member
posted
Good job Greg. Glad you were able to get it done.

Roger