• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Additional equipment "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Taking apart and reassembling my first watch. I believe I need additional tools and maybe some spare parts.
I currently have:
a set of seven screw drivers
a cheap loop,
1 pair of tweezers,
Moebius oil 8000/4
hand removers
1 oiling stick
1 cheap divided tray to hold parts.

What I think I need is better lighting and magnification. Something to hold the movement while working on it.spare screws and any other part that is handy to have around. I am sure they vary by watch company and even by movement but i may be wrong. If I am working on South Bend watches so if there is a source that can be recommended it would be great. cleaning fluid as well as any other cleaning equipment.

If anyone can recommend a particular type and a website where i can get it I would be very helpful. In addition if there are other things I may need feel free to recommend.

Thanks
Michael

Posts: 101 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 22, 2008
Picture of Bob Williams
posted
to tack on to Michaels question, when disassembling a watch , what fluid should be used to clean out jewels gunked up with old oil ? I heard somewhere isopropal alcohol , is that true ? What about acetone ? great questions Michael , I am looking forward to the answers also.

Bob Williams

Posts: 52 | Location: Toledo, Ohio in the USA | Registered: March 05, 2008
posted
Michael,
I have hundreds of tools I don't think I can live without. Big Grin It never seems to end. Anyway,you can veiw a beginners watch repair kit here.If you want to look at more tools you can look through the catalog that John Duvall had posted in the "Helping Hands" forum.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
Bob,
I know it must seem that we are ignoring you,but we're not. You might try posting a new thread when you need to ask a question. People will notice it quicker.

Your question about cleaning solutions have been discussed here many times. If you use the search feature found on this page you might find an answer to your question.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
Picture of Bob Williams
posted
Thanks for the advice Lawrence

Bob Williams

Posts: 52 | Location: Toledo, Ohio in the USA | Registered: March 05, 2008