• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial cleaning/handling tip for newcomers like me. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I wanted to clean up my Dad's melamine dial with an eraser. I was leery about pressing on it for fear of cracking the surface by flexing it. So I borrowed some of my wife's lipstick and applied a small dab to the bottom of each of the three feet on the underside of the dial. I then set the dial down on a small block of cedar that I had readied for this purpose. This left small marks on the cedar where the feet were. Then came the time to set the dial in the other room before continuing!

I then used a small pin punch to make holes in the cedar where the feet would rest. Then after carefully cleaning the lipstick from the dial I was able to just set it onto the wood block where it now rested flat against it, with the feet extending into the holes I had made. Then I was able to rub the dial without fear of cracking it, and it only took a small amount of effort to hold with my other hand to keep it and the block from moving around while I was cleaning it.

Note: I was very, very careful not to let the lipstick or the tissue I used to remove it come anywhere near the face of the dial. You should too! I do believe that lipstick would likely leave a permanent stain on the face of the dial due to the porous composition of the melamine.

Regards,

Tref

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Great idea Tref.
I always keep a piece of high density 1.5" Styrofoam (construction grade) on my bench. It is great for providing stability while absorbing objects like dial feet with a minimal amount of pressure.
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
That's a great idea Grant, and better than mine.

But mine is biodegradable. And living in the Northwest for 30+ years I've become somewhat of a tree hugger ;o)

Of course if I can find a piece of that type of foam, which I assume would not need to be modified in any way to accept various "foot" patterns, my using it would keep it out of the landfill. So I'd be fulfilling my role as a tree hugger whilst employing an even better solution to working with dials than the one I came up with. Thanks for sharing!!!

Best Regards,

Tref

posted
Tref,

Great technique - thanks for sharing it.

While you had success with the lipstick thing, I personally would opt for carbon paper or lead pencil then make the transfer onto the wood.

I'd be concerned with the pigment in the lipstick somehow getting on to the dial or into the gears - red and it's cousins are a difficult thing to get out of laundry let alone a watch dial.

Maybe it's not an issue, in which case . . . . never mind. Smile

Barb

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
posted
Very sound advice Barb. I'm chuckling because I was thinking that if my wife was into Goth the lipstick might be black, which came up on another topic I started about movement paint Smile

For my part, especially on a melamine dial I would be extremely careful with whatever I used because of the risk of transferring it topside so to speak. But I think I like Grant's idea better than mine, even though I had a fleeting thought earlier today, (most of my thoughts are fleeting at this age), that it would easier to sweep a piece of styrofoam off the table accidently than it would with my 2 inch thick piece of cedar. Guess there's risk with either method, but his would work for any dail without modification which is an attractive plus.

Best Regards,

Tref

posted
Cool
hehehe Big Grin I'm chuckling too! Embarrassed but chuckling.

Yeah, the styrofoam is such a simple, uncomplicated solution. Big Grin I read this but somehow focused on the lipstick - isn't that funny?

Barb

Wink

posted
Why should you be embarrased Barb? You had good, sound advice to offer. And if it weren't for Grant's better idea it would have worked well for my method!

But to that point, when I put the lipstick on the feet, as soon as I had pressed it to the wood I lifted it off and wiped the feet off with a tissue and threw the tissue away. I didn't even want it on the table while I returned to work on the dial, after making the holes in the block. If someone chooses to use the wood block method, I would strongly suggest the agent used to mark the feet, regardless of what it is, should be cleaned immediately and carefully from the feet and the tissue disposed of to remove the risk of having it end on the face of the dial.

Best Regards,

Tref

posted
Tref,

Not a big deal, I'll live. Smile hehehe Barely . . .

I've gotta tell you - the mere mention of using lipstick freaked me out! It reminded me of the time I came home from shopping, washed a brand new pair of white pants with a newly purchased red lipstick. What a mess!

Then there was the toner cartridge incident . . . just kidding. Big Grin

Kidding aside, we develop and share our own techniques from discussions such as this. I'm grateful to you and many others for sharing so much information.

Barb

Wink

posted
Well Barb you just had to figure a guy would have a much different use for lipstick Smile I also think it would make a passable way to mark engine parts for storage Big Grin

I know practically nothing about this captivating subject. But I have always enjoyed working with my hands and I have many home-made solutions that I've come up with over the years for woodworking, auto mechanics, and around-the-house maintenance and storage types of things. I just like the challenge of finding solutions sometimes. This was just a very simple one that popped into the ole noggin. But like you I feel I owe so much to the folks on this site that have taught me so much in such a short time, that I'll do whatever I can when I can to pay it back, even if it can only be a little at a time.

Regards,

Tref

posted
quote:
I also think it would make a passable way to mark engine parts for storage

hehehe . . . what . . . instead of sticky notes? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Your enthusiasm and eagerness to learn are inspiring, Tref! Thanks for making learning fun.

Barb

Wink

posted
Tref, learning is addictive, isn,t it.I love this online chapter, best thing yet.
You shouldn,t feel you owe for help here from others.I think others will agree, we all love to share, we all have this common love. Smile Cool

posted
Thank you Barb, for the kind words!

It is Kevin. I only wish I had gotten the bug years ago. But at least I have lots of folks to help me, my health, a few dollars to invest, and an understanding wife Smile

Best Regards,

Tref