Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How do I say "8/0" size? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of William Chappell
posted
In all of my resources, I don't find any writer clarifying how to state watch sizes such as an 8/0. When ordering a staff from one supplier I said "Elgin 8-oh" as in "Hawaii Five O". And the supplier said "What size?" I then stated "8 slash zero". He finally figured out what I wanted but I still don't know how to say it. Your help with nomenclature will be appreciated.

Thank You,

Bill

Posts: 30 | Location: Mountain Top, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 20, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I honestly believe the problem was on the other side of that phone conversation, Bill. I've never heard it ever said any way other than how you identified it to the sales clerk, so I believe you were correct in your identification.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I have also hears the "0" pronounced as "aught", so this would be an eight-aught movement.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Yup - agree. I've used "eight-oh", "size eight" or "eight size" and always been understood.

-dd

Posts: 58 | Location: Dripping Springs, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 29, 2004
posted
AS Jerry stated, the word aught is defined in "Webster" as zero. There is a notation that this word for zero is archaic. The only people you will hear using aught for zero today are those over 80 years of age and watch people. I first heard the word as a kid when I was working for a couple of old watchmakers. They referred to a 0S as an aught size or size aught.

Tom

posted
Jethro Bodine used to call a zero naught. Remember,he was a double naught spy. Big Grin

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
In texas they use bird shot. In South Carolina we use double aught buck shot. It's written out 00 buck.

Trust me on this... don't go down to the hardware store and ask for double zero buck shot. Trust me.

Charlie

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Charlie,
If you're hunting with bird shot, in Texas, please be careful.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002