Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron.Just installed battery and "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
Just installed battery and the sweep hand went to sweeping and the watch a humming.Set the time ,no problem,set the date no problem.Oh,oh there is aproblem the minute hand nor the hour hand change positions.So,I guess it's running but not keeping time.It is a 2181.Any suggestions? Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 456
posted
Hi Roger,
It is likely the center wheel assembly. It consists of two parts, the wheel with two parallel arms that grip the center post (of the assembly, not of the watch) via spring tension. This acts a cannon pinion does, there has to be some slip but should not be loose. If you take your center wheel assembly out and hold it in a pinvise, you should not be able to easily turn the wheel with your finger, there should be friction. If there is not, that's likely your problem.
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
If it is the center wheel assembly, it is easily repairable. You can gently snap off the wheel off the cannon pinion, and then use your staking set to make the center of the wheel a bit smaller. Then you apply the smallest amount of jismaa lubricant to the part where the wheel will rotate on the cannon pinion and snap it back on.

It is easier than it sounds.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thank you Michael and Scott,but I don't have the tools or expertise to do such.Would anyone like to take on this task?Let me know.Regards Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Roger, I sent you an email regarding the watch.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003