WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    How to open mainspring, and where to find disassembly instructions
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How to open mainspring, and where to find disassembly instructions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,

I finally got a small tool set built up enough to take apart a watch. I started with a running 16s 3 finger bridge Elgin. I took it apart as much as I could (all the gears, balance, ect. down to the plates) and put it back together and it runs. Smile
What I couldnt figure out was how to open the mainspring.
I have a similar non working 3 finger bridge Elgin that I am taking apart and its obvious that the mainspring is bad, so I need to know the correct way to open it. I long ago learned never to force anything, and I dont want to mess it up.

Also can anyone point me to good step by stem disassembly instructions for pocket watches?

Thanks

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Jim,

Here's a link to some basic instructions.

Cleaning, oiling and checking a basic mechanical watch movement.

Here's a link to removing the mainspring barrel cover.

Mainspring and barrel

And here's information available here by doing a search for mainspring barrel

Mainspring Barrel Search

A good book is The WATCH REPAIRER'S MANUAL by Henry B Fried.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Thank you very much.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010