Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois 11J Full-Plate Reassembly? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Ok folks, I'm stuck and need help.

I've successfully reassembled full-plate watches before, and while it takes a little jiggling, I could get all the pivots into their holes with sharpened peg wood to nudge them between the plates.

I'm working on an 11J Illinois, which has a shroud/dust ring all the way around the bottom plate making it virtually impossible to nudge the pivots into position. I've even tried using Rodico to hold the lever and fourth wheel but to no avail. The only opening to get in between the plates is where the barrel goes, which isn't much space and doesn't let in much light.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this thing back together?

Thanks,
Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1542
posted
Evan: If I am understanding you correctly, you are attempting to assemble the movement with the dust ring on. I am not familiar with this particular movement, but I haven't run into one yet that needs to have the dust ring in place prior to assembly of the rest of the movement. Try taking the dust ring off and then go about assembling the movement. After you have all the winding parts together, put all the wheels in place in the lower plate. Then "hang" the pallet fork from the top plate by putting a plug of rodico on the outside of the plate where the hole for the pallet pivot is (sounds like you are already doing this) and gently place the upper plate onto the lower plate. I usually start all three screws on the upper plate. This helps to line everything up. My apologies if I have mis-interpreted you about the dust ring (you also mention a "shroud"), perhaps a photo would help get this discussion going. Good luck.

Gerry in MA

Posts: 44 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Gerald,
Thanks for your response. You are absolutely right, and I feel, well, you can probably guess. Roll Eyes

The ring that I thought was permanently attached pops right off and wa-la it's just as easy and frustrating as the watches I've done before. Thanks! Big Grin

Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012