Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

what causes this? "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
I am new to watches and i have a question or two.

i recently purchased a hamilton from the 30's , when the watch is on my wrist it keeps accurate time. However, when I lay it in my drawer, it stops. When i reset it , and wear the watch everything is fine. Any ideas on what the problem is and how hard is the fix.

Another Hamilton(#2) watch ran fine , when i added 2 dial screws, it stops. When i loosened the screws it seems to be ok, though it does not run consistently - i have not played with it a lot get an accurate read on the problems. It did run fine till i added the dial screws and tightened the dial, however.

I have dabbled in repairs and am learning slowly. Are the fixes fairly easy or should i turn them over to my watchmaker.

thanks

Gary

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Gary,
The obvious question on the first watch; "is it a self-wind?" If so the action of your wrist/arm is what keeps it wound. If that is not the case then there could be a variety of reasons from needing a cleaning and oiling to worn pivots, etc. and only close observation of the movement or a disassembly would reveal where the problem is.
On watch #2 I don`t know enough about wrist watch dial screws to comment, but if they go in from the side of the movement as in pocket watches, I don`t see how they would affect the running unless the dial is mis-aligned and the hand shafts are rubbing the dial edge.

Smile

Good observations, Barbara! Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
both watches are mechanical, and i acquired them at the national , i do not know the service history of them.

on watch #2 , the dial screws are from another mvmnt, the same model , 987 to be exact. The problem seems to be the balance wheel doesn't run with the additional screws in place or tightened

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Gary,
I don`t believe it is the screws themselves causing the stoppage, especially since you state they are from an identical movement. I think it may be that the hands or hand shafts are touching the dial or dial edge somewhere. Without any dial screws to hold it snug the dial can move slightly therefore not creating much friction or rub where it is touching and the movement can run. When you tighten the screws down you are clamping the dial in place, making it inmovable (as it should be) but if the hands or shafts are touching anywhere this acts as a sort of vise or brake on the wheel shafts and prevents the power from getting to the balance. If you remove the hands and look at the center wheel staff and the second hand staff they should be centered in the dial holes. If either or both are at the edge of the hole or touching the dial this is likely the problem. If so the dial feet are bent and will have to be carefully readjusted so the dial is aligned properly and the shafts are centered in there respective holes. As I stated earlier that is the only effect I think dial screws could have on the running of a movement.
Perhaps pics of your movements might help and hopefully someone else will chime in.

Come on you wrist watch guys!

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I agee with Kenny. If the center wheel stops,the whole train will stop.

With the other watch, I would suggest examining the jewels and pivots. You could have a cracked lower balance jewel. A bent or damaged pivot could be the culprit. The balance could also be hitting something if it has too much endshake and sinks too far into the balance jewel. You could also have a bent wheel somewhere in the train, bent teeth or both. The mainspring might be sticking, or there may be problems with the mainspring barrel. Could be dirt too. Ah, the joys of watchmaking. This is why it's so much fun.

I would suggest carefully taking out the balance and checking the jewels and the pivots under high magnification.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Kenny, pretty much nailed the problem , the second hand shaft was touching the side of the hole, i touched it and it broke or came loose. After replacing the dial , everything is running fine - except, no second hand or second hand shaft

so onward

thanks

gary

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Gary,
Chances are the seconds hand staff was bent already since it seemed to break so easily.
On the other watch I would think if it has cracked jewels or badly worn, bent, pivots, etc. that it would not keep accurate time.
Glad you at least now know the problem with the one. Maybe you can find a replacement fourth wheel for it without too much difficulty.

Smile

Kenny