Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Wrist Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I need to know how, or if, I can get the back off of this watch. Crystal is in very bad shape.

It has # A786888 L5 on the outside of the case but would like to see what's inside, even if it is really bad. Curious.
Says Bulova 23 Jewels, Self Winding, Six Adjustments. Has a HOLE in the crystal!!!

Any information on it would help too.
Thank you,

Do I need a tool for this?

Sheila

Bulova

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
# 2
The back says:
Bulova, Stainless Steel Back, Shock Resistant, A786888 L5, Anti-Magnetic, Self Winding, Waterproof with a star on each side. In that order from top clockwise.

Sheila

Bulova2

posted
HI Sheila, The back is removed by using a case opener to remove the outside retaining ring. The case back then lifts out. Sometimes the retaining ring is loose enough that one can put the end of a screwdriver against one of the notches to unscrew it. Be careful if you try this. If the little screwdriver slips, you can put it right through your finger or your hand.

Tom

posted
Hi Sheila,

This is a nice watch - popular on ebay. The dial is often referred to as a "Sunburst" dial. I've seen them in white/yellow GF bezels with black or white dials. I personally like the scalloped bezel, which yours also has. I personally think it is a lot of watch for the $$ - post war american, automatic, sweep second, screw down case, 6 adj, 23 jewels, etc.

For more info about adjustments, see page 27 of the 2005 Cooksey Shugart book.

Smile

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
posted
Hi Tom,
Thank you!
So is the center piece and the notched portion all one piece, or is the center piece separate from the part where the notches are?

Does the entire piece turn? and do I turn it counter-clock-wise?

I kinda hope the seal is tight. I tried to work it, but since I don't know how many pieces there are to this case, I left it alone.
There was enough dirt in the grooves, to plant tomatoes this summer. Big Grin Wink

Barbara,
That's great to know, thank you.
I'm sure this one is past ever looking good, but I'm grateful for the reference to page 27, but I have no idea what it all means, so I guess I will just have to start looking for more information on this one. I did see other information on page 689 about the crystal and hands. Maybe when I get it open, I can get you guys to clue me in a little more on this one.

I did get this one with 2 other watches and had no idea what it was when I got it. Fun to find out about mystery watches huh?

PSS I thought that bezel was kinda neet too!

Sheila

posted
Hi Sheila,

I've enclosed a photo of the 2 parts Tom described. Note the little slot (female) on the watch case in the 12 o'clock position and the corresponding male portion on the case back - the slight protrusion at 12.

You will need to use a case opening tool and turn gently "counter-clockwise" to open. Once the outside ring is off, the case back will lift off. Reassemble in the reverse order making sure that the orientation pin is returned to this slot. Be careful tightening the outer ring because cross-threading is very possible if the ring is not seated correctly. Perhaps tighten by hand or fingers until you feel certain the ring has been seated correctly.

Regarding your watch and the 6 adjustments: to my understanding, a movement is more reliable or efficient because the movement has been "adjusted" with consideration for (in anticipation of) heat, cold & positions. These factors affected accuracy and compensations (adjustments) were made for them. The watch is less likely to stop when moved to a certain position on the wrist or because of a change in climate. If I've given a wrong explanation, I hope someone with more experience will make the correction or elaborate.

Most important, have fun. Smile

Barbara

posted
oops - no coffee this morning . . . Eek

Here's a photo of the watch case.

posted
Sheila, Don't write off this watch. Can't really tell now woth the dial, but it doesn't look that bad. Enclosed is a pic of my Bulova that I got in a junk box about 10 years ago. When I got it, mine looked much worse than yours.

Barbara, Great pix. I couldn't have explained it in words as well as your pix showed.

Tom

posted
About 5 years ago, I found a period Bulova gift box at a flea market so now I display it with box.

Tom

posted
Sheila, Tom's right - these clean up nicely and are very charming in their own right.

VERY nice Bulova, Tom.

Here's one of mine - I swear the dial & case are just that vivid!

posted
Barbara, Thank you, the pictures are wonderful and the explanations are perfect.
I love your watch!

Tom, How beautiful! You have made me rethink my "piece of junk" for sure, when I see them look like this, it really makes a difference.

How great it is to share what we have.
To show the Hidden Gems that they really are.

Sheila

posted
Sheila, Also, the L-5 on the back of your case dates it to 1955. Mine is also 1955.

Barbara--great Bulova.
Tom

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
A VERY good year, to be sure. My birth year. (grins) Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Tom, Thank you! I didn't know the year, this is great! I changed the letter to the number 5 when I looked at the watch a little closer, thank you for noticing.

Mark, Since you were born then, A very good year indeed! Otherwise, we would miss your posts. Big Grin
Bless,

Sheila

posted
In 1960 a 10BPAC in a 14 KT case very similarly styled retailed for $75.00.
i didn't buy a single one.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Julian,
Bet you wish you did now huh?

I never realized how nice looking these are until the posts above. I only had the one bad example to go by. Sometimes we just gotta go for it!

Sheila