• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Basic questions on recasing. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a number of nice watch movements that are cased in less desirable cases (incorrect, worn, damaged,etc). I would like to move these into correct or at least more nearly correct/appropriate cases. Before beginning this learning and acquisition process I have some really basic questions.

1. In removing a watch from its case is it necessary/desireable to unwind the watch as you would to work on the movement?

2. I'm working primarily on 16s items. Are there interchangeability issues on the stems. That is, if I buy a case with crown and stem already installed, will it normally fit into the movement I'm trasferring into this case or will I need to purchase or reuse a stem specific to the watch?

3. Are there recommended sources for good used or NOS cases?

4. Is there a generic tool for winding 16s movements outside of the case?

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
posted
Hi Gary,
I will try to answer these questions for you. Most of the info is based on what I have learned.

1. Not really, but it may be helpful to test how the watch winds in the new case if it isnt fully wound.

2. For the most part I have found that a movement placed in a case that has held the same brand of watch will not have a lot of adjustment. You might want to look for a sleeve wrench to have on hand to do any adj needed if you dont already have one. Its used for raising and lowering the sleeve and with it the stem.

3. Best places I have found are IHC and ebay. But there are bound to be others I dont know about. Perhaps someone will share another.

4. Yes there is a tool that can, I have a double ended one I got in a tool lot for 12s watches. but as you acquire case parts you can put an old crown on a stem and use that.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Thanks again Jim

So I need to acquire a sleeve wrench and possibly a winding tool. These are specific to movement size, but should fit virtually all brands???

It appears the case chase is competitive and finding ones that are appropriate for a given movement is a challenge. I assume it may be economic is some instances to buy non working watches for the case alone and resell the movement, etc as parts.

I would imagine that crazy gold prices have put a lot of quality movements into the supply and now might be a resonable time to acquire some of these?

Gary

IHC Life Member
posted
Gary, if the watch is lever-set, that adds some other issues in trying to fit a non-original case. You have to have a case with the notch cut out in the right location for the lever. If you are dealing with Walthams, I know the setting-lever on Vanguards is around 11:00, and on other brands of open-face watches they are usually around 1:00 or 2:00. When you get into hunter cases you have to worry about whether the notch in the bezel is in the right place so the lever can go in and out smoothly. Good luck with your search.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
posted
Yes the wrench should fit all brands. I will admit to picking up movements and then finding cases. But I like silveroid cases, they seem to be easier to find.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Thx Bruce, I'm mainly trying to upgrade watches to cases that are more nearly correct for the movement/period of manufacture. Mostly Hamilton 992, 992B, Bunns and other 16s "Railroad" watches. Those will be lever set models.

I did note the peculiarity of the lever set on Walthams being at 11 instead of 1-2 for the most part on others. I am just now becoming interested in an upper end Waltham...so far the ones I see seem to more often be in the right case, unlike the 992's which seem very subject to poor recasing in inexpensive cases.

Gary

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
quote:
4. Is there a generic tool for winding 16s movements outside of the case?

Gary

hi Gary; yes,there is!! It is a bench let down and winder key that came in a set of 3 to fit all watch sizes. I had some odd pairs I sold last year on IHC and they went like hotcakes. I have two sets left,my favorite pair I use all the time, and a complete set of 3 mint in original box which I'd sell for $45 plus $3 postage. I sold the odd pairs I had on IHC for $20 I think. They are knurled hardened steel so they last forever , and are a delight to work with ,slick and simple and safe,picture included so you'll know what to look for even if you don't buy mine Wink the three keys have 6 different size winder ends to cover almost anything you are likely to find on this earth and I know they work on all sizes from 0s to 18s Eek

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Sorry,they are now sold to Robert Milliron,regards,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Thx I saw them, but already had an ebay bid on some similar.

Gary