Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning solutions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I had few people ask what is my preferred watch cleaning solutions. I use to use L&R but had problems with residue so I changed several years ago to Zenith and had good results since.

Formula 67

During the cleaning cycle with Formula 67, hardened grease and oil are dissolved and particles that have adhered onto metal parts are dislodged by micro-molecular action. All this cleaning power is being accomplished with a safe and environmentally friendly cleaner. After the cleaning cycle movements are ready for the Rinsing Cycle.

Rinsing Solution - Drizebrite, Product 101

The rule is: Rinsing Solutions should have the same solvents as the cleaner in order for it to be most effective. Zenith's Drizebrite rinse has the same solvents as Formula 67 cleaner. Be reassured that the rinsing action is thorough and complete because of the similarity of solvents in both products. What makes Drizebrite rinse unique is its Odorless rating and the fact that it leaves parts spotless without any oily film. When ordering Formula 67 always include Drizebrite as the rinsing solution.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thanks for the advice Chris. Cas-Ker has these.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
so does Esslinger and few others.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Good to know I have been doing something right.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bruce Bonbright
posted
Can these products be used in an ultrasonic cleaner with good results?

Posts: 71 | Location: Hawaii in the USA | Registered: November 13, 2014
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Bruce, yes it can be used with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Zenith Formula 67 is Ammoniated.

I thought that I had heard SOMEWHERE that ammonia can damage the finish on some of the older plates. Is that NOT true?

I use the L&R Heavy-Duty #677 "Clock" Non-Ammoniated Waterless cleaning solution, with the #3 L&R Rinsing Solution. On the railroad watches that I do the plates come out looking like new.

I had called the person selling them, and he told me to use the HD clock cleaner rather than the watch cleaner. I believe he was also the one who told me to stay away from the ammoniated solution. ??

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Bruce,
The cleaning fluids have been developed for cleaning wrist and pocket watches of all ages in a ultrasonic and other cleaning machines, they also are must safer with less odors than other products and will not cause damage. Of course like any other product they need to be used correctly and changed when contaminated. You have to remember people will use all kind of inappropriate oils, cleaning solutions prior to arriving for service. Pre cleaning and inspection is essential. I tried the "777" cleaner and did not see any improvement so returned to what I know works.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The cleaners discussed here are probably all effective, I must thank Chris for the advice and hope it is taken as such.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
For SURE David.

I didn't mean anything but an HONEST to goodness question here. If it was taken any other way I apologize to everyone, and especially my friend Chris.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1736
posted
Chris, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It cuts out a lot of trial and error for me.

This is one of several processes in my studio I was still trying to get right.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you all so much for the info. Chris, I'm ordering the Formula 67 and Drizebrite per your advice. This is such a great forum!

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I use l&r #111 cleaner and L&r #3 rinse and have nothing but good results using them..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have two tempo 400 fully automatic machines, rotation and ultrasonic cleaning action, they use approximately 1 gal of fluid to fill all 4 jars with a little top up left, I like 2 clean 2 rinse I know some watchmakers prefer 1 clean 3 rinse. doing it professionally I keep the fluids fresh and get typically 10-20 cleans between fluid change. if I used a watch master I would change them much more frequently. I save the dirty solution and use for cleaning gun parts,bicyle chains, small engine etc and often I pass it onto a local guy who does clocks and he uses it until it turns to black soup! buying in bulk direct I get chance to speak to the chemist at zenith he is always keen to hear how it performing in the field and keeps me up to date on latest products. I am told it will keep cleaning even when severely discolored and explained how it all worked quickly lost me with his explanation, I also used the 555 hairspring cleaner which works well less hazardous than one dip but slower to dry.

posted
I would try Zenith but for some reason is not available in Europe. So, I did my try and error process, and finally, Ive took advice from watchmaker Im friendly with. He advised Elma 9:1 as a cleaning and for rinsing special kind of naphta (very clean one, no additions) - 2 times, and so far its the best combination for me, no issues with residue. And its not expensive Smile

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
I just checked with Esslinger and Otto Frei and neither ship to Hawaii. So back to the drawing board here to find something available over here to use.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
hey Bruce call them direct see if they will ship ground,

For pricing and availability please contact us at: 1.888.777.6887

zenithsolutionsinc@gmail.com

IHC Life Member
posted
Will do, thanks for the suggestion. -Bruce