• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

elgin 861 balance staffs "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Elgin grade 86 convertible movement with a broken balance staff. I have purchased three 861 staffs and none of them have the dimensions of the original staff. I have enclosed an image. Bottom is 861 old style then 861 new style, then 861 C then top is the original staff. The original roller table only fits the original staff. The diameter of the roller table hole is 0.5mm and the diameter of all of the 861 purchased staffs are 0.6mm. The question is what to do? Find a roller table that fits one of the new staffs or alter the staffs (I would guess by thinning down the shaft so the table fits)?

Thank you,
Larry

Posts: 81 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: October 22, 2019
posted
I should add that the 861 c staff has the closest profile to the original staff from the movement.

Larry

Posts: 81 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: October 22, 2019
posted
Hi Larry,
From what I have found is that all the balance staffs for the 861 have the same size ( from .62 to .63 mm), for the roller.
It might be that this is not the original roller.
Besides looking for a new roller, have you considered boring the roller to .60 from the .50 mm that you have now.

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Larry,
Most of the early convertibles I have worked on have the smaller roller table holes. I always have to turn down the staff to fit the hole. Easier to get another staff than a table if you were to make the hole too big.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
Here is a list of some common roller tables .
Perhaps you can find one that will suit the situation.

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
More of the list