Tools
Reply to Post

jewelling a watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everyone,
todd here.
i have a bit of a crazy question.
is it possible to take a 7 jewel wonder and jewel it up?
i think it would be a fun and interesting project.
and i would learn a lot in the process.
or is just a crazy idea?
thanks
todd

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Member 1693
posted
Yes it's a crazy idea. But I know it's possible. Many years ago an old watchmaker here in town did it, He took a 7 j
New York Standard and jeweled it up to look like a 17j. Why ?
Just to pull a joke on another Watch guy that was a know-it-all. Years later when he was in his 80's and telling
me the story he would laugh & laugh. The know-it-all kept wanting to buy it. I don't know what ever happened to the watch.
A very rare 17j NYS . Hearing him tell the story was very funny.

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
quote:
Yes it's a crazy idea. But I know it's possible. Many years ago an old watchmaker here in town did it, He took a 7 j
New York Standard and jeweled it up to look like a 17j. Why ?
Just to pull a joke on another Watch guy that was a know-it-all. Years later when he was in his 80's and telling
me the story he would laugh & laugh. The know-it-all kept wanting to buy it. I don't know what ever happened to the watch.
A very rare 17j NYS . Hearing him tell the story was very funny.

Great story! I can hear him laughing.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As a matter of fact watch making schools actually included classes in up-jeweling watch movements to better practice successful fitment and assembly of train jewels. Also some Watchmakers were known produce (further) up-jeweled versions of their higher end movement for their personal clients and dealers.

Finally many, many Waltham movements "leaked" out of the factory in the hands of Waltham employees in numerous "strange" configurations including up-jeweling and attachments of non-specified micro-adjusters, bogus (CPR) barrel covers, etc.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007