Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stereo Microscope "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
I have read several comments by Steve Maddox on the usefulness of a stereo microscope when doing watch repair (see one here,thanks Steve on your clarity and depth of explanation ) and I like the idea since gives a better view and looks more comfortable that an eye piece.
I wonder why is little used by watchmakers in general, in fact all pictures of old and modern watchmakers at work shows them using the traditional eye piece, why is that?, cost?, flexibility?, your comments will be appreciated to make a decision.
Regards.

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
I have one and couldn't imagine working without it. I suspect that one reason that they aren't a common tool in horology is that the discecting steroe scopes (with long focal lengths) are a relative new thing and came after the hay-day of watchmaking. Cost is another factor. A good loupe will cost under $20 new, while a new scope can run several hundred for a very average one. Thousands for a quality one.

Used ones are sometimes available for less. I found a nice one (Unitron) that serves well from The Scope Shoppe. They don't list their used equipment, but you can email or call them for info. Make sure that whatever you buy has a long enough focal length to allow you to work inder it. If possible, examine a watch under it before you buy.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002