Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help needed with 18sz waltham "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1902
posted
I have stepped out of my limited knowledge area and purchased a Waltham, P.S.Bartlett, Lever Set, Hunter movement, Ser No. 1171705.
Described as running well, which it seems to be so far.
My problem is that this is my first movement of this age and I thought that I would easily be able to fit it into a spare 18 sz case which I have that takes lever or pendent setting.
Unfortunately the stem in the movement appears to be fixed in, whereas the case also has a stem fitted.
Do I need to obtain a different case or can the stem in the case I have be modified to take the movement complete with its stem.
I understand that the end result won't be original but in the future I could obtain a correct case and in the meantime the movement will have a home and be appreciated.
Any advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1613
posted
Mike a question would be is your stem in your case held in with screw or does it have a sleeve..If your case has a sleeve holding your stem in it would be easier just to find a case with a female stem.. If it is held in with a screw it is possible to find a female stem that would work in your case and swap the male stem with a female one..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks Gary. My stem doesn't have a screw holding it in.
It just appears to be the same as all the Waltham 16sz which I have but a lot bulkier.
How would the case I require be described if I tried to get one.
Sorry about the very basic questions but this is the first movement of this type which I have come across.
Thanks again for your help. Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1613
posted
Mike I will try to find one tomorrow and get some pics..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks Gary. Much appreciated

IHC Member 1613
posted
Mike I didn't have a hunter case but this one will give you an idea of what kind case you are looking for..This is a shot of the female stem..Hope they help..

IHC Member 1613
posted
Pic 2..Screw that's holds the stem in the case..

IHC Member 1613
posted
Case with stem removed..

IHC Member 1902
posted
Gary, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Very clear and easy to understand.

Thanks for your help and taking the trouble to post the photos.

All the best, Mike