Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

214 ACCUTRON PHASING ISSUES "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,
I recently took in a 214 for repair but I cannot phase it correctly to keep accurate time. The strange thing is the index wheel will run very fast as I'm performing the phasing adjustement. At a point the index wheel slows down to the proper pace but the watch runs slow, several minutes a day. If I use a 1.3 volt cell or a 1.5 v cell the same results. The phasing is adjusted to 6-8 teeth on drop off with the index jewel and with the pawl jewel moved out away from the index wheel with half the tickness of the jewel away from the index wheel. Tried to change out the tuning fork with a factory fresh unit with the same results. No matter what drop off or what clearance I use on the index or pawl the watch will not run to correct specs?
Any advise??
Thanks for your time.
Dave

Posts: 110 | Location: Independence, Ohio USA | Registered: June 24, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Can you get a good close up photo of the index & jewels?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Hi Chris,

The index jewel and pawl jewel spings are straight and the jewels are hitting the index wheel at a right angle, not out of line with the jewel springs, in other words jewel and spring form a straight line to the index wheel. The jewel springs are centered on the index wheel so the guard swings in w/o incident. I will post a pic as well.

I wrote you yesterday about a Girard Perregaux 3170-579 stem. The movement is an in-house manufacture with the debois depraz chrono module attached. This is a self winding chrono model "Laureato" MA No 104. If a stem is available we can work out payment.
Thanks for your time....

dave

posted
214 index jewels on the watch in question.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Dave,

Still hard to see even with such a good photo, looks like you are not the first visitor here with all the screw heads chewed up and jewel rotated where shoulders cut away. From what I can see the stress limiters and to close to the index fingers I would give them a slight angle away maybe causing secondary and un-natural vibrations. Of course a full strip clean of the train and index wheel maybe a good thing, does it hum well, tuning forks free (shim washers in place?)
No joy on the stem.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thanks for your input Chris.

The watch has been cleaned and oiled prior to my initial attemps at phasing. I have tried the stess limiters as you mentioned as well as many many combinations of engagement of the index jewel and clearance on the pawl jewel with no results other than a slow timekeeper. That is one thing that stays constant is its abilty to consistently run slow by 1 minute a day multiplying over time....a week it will be at least five minutes slow.
Thaks again.
dave

Any luck on a G/P stem?

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
quote:
No joy on the stem.

I think he said, 'no', David.
Frown
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Please excuse me Chris....that one went over my head.

Thanks Mark!