• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case thread repair? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a nice gold filled case with the bezel threads buggerd up. It has not been droped or dented. The frame and bezel/ back are round and flat. If you toy with it you can get them on and they screw off fine. Any recomended way to clean up the threads? If it was a bolt and thread it would be no problem. Wink

Maybe a formula for a light abrasive paste to act like a thread chaser?

Any suggestions are grately appreciated.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Aaron,

If you haven't already, soak the case parts overnight in your watch cleaner. Sharpen a tootpick or piece of peg wood and completely clean the threads. Rinse and dry the parts and lube the threads and stem sleeve fingers a touch.

I wonder what ever happened to all of the old case tap and dies that were used to build these cases. I'm sure some of the case repair companies that have been posted elsewhere on this board could chase the threads for a nominal fee.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Aaron,
I use a small dab of auto valve grinding compound on the case threads and keep working the bezel or back cover back and forth until they screw on easy. Make sure the watch is not in the case when you do this and that you clean the case well before installing the movement.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@webtv.net

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Brian,

I will be making a trip to see Manny, Moe and Jack tomorrow. I've got an 8-day car clock bezel that is now squeaky clean but still a little stubborn to screw on and off.

Thanks for the great tip!

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
To add to Brian's suggestion, keep this stuff off the crystal and balance of the case. I scarred a crystal with this stuff sooooo fast you wouldn't believe it.

Charlie