• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

inexpensive demagnetizer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
if anyone is looking for an inexpensive demagnetizer, I bought an ETIC (swiss made) demagnetizer from www.ofrei.com for $55.95 just last week and it does a good job.

Posts: 458 | Location: Norfolk, Virginia in the USA | Registered: July 24, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Joe. I need to get one, and may as well get a good one for a good price.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
Hey Guys/Gals,Don't know if this is a good idea,but try this link. Looks like about the same item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Watch-Tool...&hash=item5d2ae5919a

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
It sure does look like Frei's unit, Cecil, and the ebay store item you found comes with FREE shipping (shipping is included in the price) Smile

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Joe,
I got the model from ofrei that's about $10.00 more. It's a pass through unit and although not stated it's a Kendrick and Davis and it works great. They're good about returns if you change your mind.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
thanks Richard but I will keep the Etic. it works.

posted
Cecil, that looks like the same one I bought but I don't know about the deal. if it looks too good to be true.......

posted
Hey Joe, I checked their feedback before I posted the link,and everyone that bought one of those demagnetizers seems happy with it. I get most of my watch stuff from Ebay,and am happy with it so far. Here is my antique demagnetizer,that I bought off Ebay about 10 years ago for $9,plus $4 shipping,and it is still working. I personally prefer old tools to new ones.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
thanks Cecil. that is a pretty cool picture. I bet no one outside the pocket watch crowd would be able to identify what these things are. I know I couldn't have.

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I also own the Ettic demag, but I am almost positive that it is the same exact unit as the cheaper ones all over Ebay. Works well. I use both an instantanious demag and the the blue one if I can't get it demagged with the other.

The new ones that are available from Witschi and Greiner Vibrograf are like $1000. They are sweet though. The Witschi tells you if there is magnetism left in the watch, so you can keep zapping it until you get it all out.

I honestly think that those old tunnel demagnetizers work the best.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Member 456
posted
I would caution that some of the really old demagnetizers, as shown in the one posted by Cecil 3 posts above, have exposed electrical wiring. The switch to turn it on, at the right side, is only a metal strip that is pushed down using the black knob. If you touch the metal it is possible to get electrocuted. It's especially important if you have kids or pets that might go snooping around the workshop. So look for ones that don't have exposed metal contacts for the switch.
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
posted
Hey Mike,you are right,OSHA would never approve of my demagnetizer. The electrical wires are just attached to thumb screws on the board. I put the red plastic covers over the exposed electric studs. Tools such as these were made back when folks didn't need caution stickers to tell them not to touch this or that. Common sense was pretty common back then. I don't have any kids,and I keep it unplugged when not in use,but you couldn't want for a more effective demagnetizer.

posted
I guess I ought to mention also that sometimes you might want to magnetize something. Well if you pass an object thru my old tool front to back it will completly demagnetize it,but if you pass it thru back to front it will make a very strong magnet. I don't know if those new ones will do that.

posted
I ordered a demagnetizer for the fun of it but I have to ask when is it OK to demagnetize a pocket watch. In theory it should not hurt the watch but is it ok to just remove the rear cover and hold it above the demag surface for a few seconds. The newer ones are not a tube where you can push the watch through. They have a flat plastic surface to place something on during the process...

Posts: 77 | Location: Hartford, Connecticut in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2010
posted
Bill, I don't know what is proper or not ,but, when I used mine I left the back cover on and just held the watch very close to the demagnetizer and passed it over about 3 or 4 times with the dial up and it worked just fine.