Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watchmakers Bench "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Did anyone ever figure out how to ship a watchmakers bench?

I have one for sale.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Chris, 40-45 years ago, I shipped large items, larger that a Watchmakers Bench, and I found out that is was much better to build a crate around the item and ship it that way....

The crate cost a little but the protection was super and didn't add much to the cost....

If it were mine, I would still do it in that manner and ship it FedEx or UPS Surface....

In fact I am shipping an item now to Hawaii, of course it will go by Air....by boat is the same cost to Hawaii because of their minimum charges....

Don't know if this helps you are not but I would crate it and ship it UPS or maybe use another freight carrier.... Check different freight company's freight charges....

Of course, it all depends on where you are shipping it to also....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Jerry,

Just talked to Fed Ex, it would be freight and cost more then the bench itself!, looks like a pick up only, I may rent a antique booth locally and put all the larger items there or try some local shows later in the year.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Yep, nowadays freight charges are really a large part of any item's cost....especially large items and you are probably wise to keep things local so that there can be pick-up and carry out....that may limit your market but I know that you have that large antique sale area near you (can't remember the name of it off hand) but that may be the place for you to set up a booth....

Good Luck...

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008