Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

assembly/dis-assembly "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
My question concerns replacement of the Balance staff. Is there a order of dis-assembly that should be followed when replacing the Balance staff, as regards the components mounted on the staff itself,hairspring,roller table,etc. Thanks for any input.

Frank

Frank Juchniewicz

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Frank,

There is and you already have the correct order in your question.
1) hairsring
2) roller table
3) balance wheel

You do have to know if the balance is a press fit or colleted style. The press fit can be staked off the colleted style should be cut off using a lathe.

Reasembley you reverse the process. It is a little more involved, after you stake the wheel to the staff you must check it to see if it is running true. They almost never are. If you have never done one before I think it would be best if you could find someone to show you how. It is not hard but great care must be taken. It is easy to break the staff your trying to replace or mess up the hairspring.

Also the relationship of the roller jewel and the hairspring stud is critical and must be correct. This is what controls the beat. I hope this has been of some help.

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC Member 128623
IHC Member 155

Web-Site: http://watchmakerfinds.com

eMail: rich@watchmakerfinds.com

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Rich,

Thank you for the reply. Let me say that I am sorry for the delay in achnowledgment. I have been out of town for awhile on vacation. The information you have given me has cleared-up some questions I had, in the steps involved in re- assembly of the balance. As for someone to show me,I have a friend who is the watch and clock repair buisness. Thank you again for your advice.

Frank

Frank Juchniewicz

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003