Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Are alloy mainsprings really unbreakable? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Are alloy mainsprings really unbreakable under normal use?

ANS NO Big Grin

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1851
posted
This was possibly compromised the day it was built. Nice

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
posted
Chris on a rare occasion I have had a complete failure of an alloy mainspring just like your example. The mainspring broke on the initial winding and it broke in multiple pieces. I was very surprised when I lifted the barrel cap off and saw the destroyed mainspring. Didn't expect that, but it can happen.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Rob,

I had a few new alloys have a single break within the first few days, but this is only the second one I have seen fail so dramatically, bet it would sound quite interesting to hear!!

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003