• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this spring broken? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am rebuilding a Hampden William McKinley 16 size, serial number 3519986. My questions are, what is this spring called, is it broken? If so, what is it supposed to look like, and does anyone have an extra? Thanks

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
posted
I don't know what others call them, but I call it the set lever spring.

And, yes - it's broken!

You can make one if you find a suitable piece of steel wire and bend it carefully. It shouldn't be too thick or too thin (measure the original to get the gauge). Soften the wire by heating it and allowing it to cool slowly, then bend it to shape and harden & temper it.

If you leave it too hard, it will break. If you leave it too soft, it will bend. Play around with an unformed piece of the wire until you get it to be a spring, then heat treat the piece you bent to shape the same way (if you experiment on the shaped piece, you'll get a lot of practice shaping springs Big Grin ).

Posts: 72 | Location: Mechanicsburg, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: July 18, 2004
posted
Thanks. Does a special pair of pliers help? Where can I purchase the spring wire?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I believe the part is a "shipper spring" that uniquely makes it much easier to operate and takes the "slop" out. Harvey's description makes forming these springs sound easy, it's tricky but it can be learned and it is a worthwhile endeavor. I'd say if anyone would be willing to form a quantity of these for some of the more difficut to find applications there is a market for them.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
quote:
If anyone would be willing to form a quantity of these for some of the more difficut to find applications there is a market for them.

True! I can't understand why someone isn't turning these out in quantity. Of all watch parts, it would seem that these would be the easiest to produce. I would think that once you set-up the jigs (or whatever) and bought a spool of spring-wire, your cost would be pennies. I'd buy a dozen 18sz Hamilton's for a couple bucks each.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Thanks to you all for responding to this post. I measured the broken spring and it is 0.2 mm by 0.6 mm (rectangular). I called several places today and inquired about spring wire. All I found was circular. Do I use a size of similar cross-sectional area?

Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
It looks like both springs are broken.The Shipper, and the Yoke spring

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003