Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hunter Case Winder "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...being relatively new to watches, I've come across a question that I can't find the answer to in any of my references...I have an 18s Waltham hunter cased watch w/o a stem/crown...now I have a stem/crown that fits into the sleeve and operates the winding/setting mechanism (lever) but since there are no threads to take a holding sleeve, I'm at a loss as to how to secure the stem in the sleeve...btw: there is a threaded hole in the side of the sleeve which I assume may somehow secure/release the stem...thanks for any help...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
My guess is that this case is an older style designed only for a lever-set movement. This case would not need a sleeve. Jim, when you say "sleeve", are you referring to the pendant tube? The threaded hole in the side of the pendant is for a screw to retain the stem in the case. The stem would be very simple, with a groove around it to catch the set screw. The groove should be wide enough to accomodate the inward motion of the stem when you open the cover. [This explanation is clear in my mind, but did I succeed for your purposes?]

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Here`s a sketch I did a while back for a similar discussion.
Hope it enhances Jerry`s explanation.

Smile

EDIT: As Jerry stated the groove should be wide enough to allow some "play" for the stem to be pressed to open the HC. The pic doesn`t show this as it was intended for OF.

Kenny

LS Stem setup

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks Jerry...yes, I meant that the "pendant tube" was not threaded to receive a sleeve...now I
must find a set screw and a stem w/a receiving groove that will allow the stem to be secure and at the same time still allow the hunter case cover to be released?...thanks much!...

Jim
IHC#234

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks too Kenny!...'tis clear what type of stem I have to find that will accommodate the set screw, wind/set the mechanism and still be broad enuf to activate the case cover spring...much appreciate both your efforts...

Jim
IHC#234