• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

broken hairspring in collet "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm afraid I was a little rough trying to get a hairspring collet off a parts movement and the hairspring broke off in the collet. (I know what I did wrong) Is there any way to get the broken part out and save the collet? I need a very tiny tool I would think!

I wasn't too upset, because once it happened I could really see all the parts involved and how it all goes together, but I would still now like to save the parts and use them again if possible.

Is the hairspring still usable?

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
There is a taper pin holding it in, a sharp needle and a lot of pressure will drive it out, the hairspring is now useless other than the stud a great deal of skill and knowledge would be needed to make any use of it from here onwards.
Hairspring work in the most delicate part of adjustments the slightest bend or irregularity will affect severely the operation of the watch. Hairspring often do not transfer from movement to movement well and need setting up, a exchange from same watch to same will often get you close

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thank you for the response. I knew it was a really bad thing to happen!

I was tired when I was working on it that night, and I just knew I should have waited until the next day, but, well... so I learned a good lesson!

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009