• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Chronometer restoration "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Chronometer dating from about 1868-70, . It was reconditioned several years ago and is in good running order, but the case and brass fittings were not. I’m not sure if the box finish is original, but it is pretty old and dull. The chronometer face also has some tarnish marks on it. I would like to get the gimbal fittings, tub, chronometer face and box restored as nearly as possible to its original nautical appearance. Recommendations and cost estimates for quality restorations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 88 | Location: Brunswick, Georgia in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
IMO, for what it's worth, unless the case and fittings are falling apart I would leave it alone and enjoy it as is. Part of the charm in antique pieces like this to me is the patina that comes with age.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Thanks Roger. I have been of the of the same opinion for a long time, but as I look at it, I also think a careful restoration by an expert could return it to its original nautical splendor without harming its historic significance.

Posts: 88 | Location: Brunswick, Georgia in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011