Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What do I use to get the mvmt out of this case? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi,
I have a beautiful gold filled case that looks like it's been at the bottom of the ocean for years. Full of rust.
How can I get the movement out of it? What size (screwdriver?) do I use and where can I get one?
I am not going to let this case go, it's really a nice one.
WD40 anyone! lol
Should I put some kind of oil on it first, to help me get it loose?
Would like to try this myself.
How about WD40 and duct-tape. Big Grin

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I would start with a soak in something like penetrating oil.I would avoid WD 40 with all your watches, will do more harm than good.The watch will probaly be for parts after, the corrosion may have damaged most of it.
You will need slot screwdrivers watch maker screwdrivers.You can go to marts and get them used which is the best way to go when first starting out.
Usually there are 2 slotted screws holding the movement in.Also if it is a pendant wind the crown will need to be pulled out to setting position.If there is a detent screw holding the stem in, it will have to be turned out to get the stem out.Also the bezel will have to come off, probaly screw off.
I hope this helps some, someone else here may be able to give more advice as i am a novice at this too, but learning more every day.

posted
Hi Keven,
lol I was just kidding about the WD40, we used to use it for everything, and it's a standing joke around here.
Actually the case looks great, it also had some kind of grease or oil on it when I got it, and I was shocked when I cleaned off some of the gunk on the movement and case. It cleaned up beautiful. No bad spots showing, but of course, who knows what it will look like under the movement. This is my chance to play with a case that has a bad movement in it, and I can't hurt the thing in any way, so I thought I would ask around for suggestions. I didn't think of the other stuff you mentioned, THANK YOU, I would have been stumped at what to do with the thing as soon as I started without that info.
I will do my best to destroy it I'm sure.
But hey, theres no better watch than this one to use to start tinkering with.
It's got a bezel in front but the back has the back and the dust cover too, so I hope I can get it out without too much damage.
Anyway, it should be interesting if nothing else. I always learn best when I do things hands on.
Last, what size do I need to get those slotted screws off of the movement? That is essentially what is holding it in there. I will start with them. Let me know.
Bless,

Sheila

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Sheila,

Sounds like a hockey puck to me, but some are worth saving. Here's an interesting topic in our "Watch Repair Questions and Answers" forum that even features some "before and after" images...

TOPIC: "Using Tea for Corrosion Removal"

Check it out!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
LOLOL Hockey Puck, I like that
Well, guess what! I got the movement out!
I used my trusty case opener, and I didn't even touch the plates at all.
Once the screws were out, I figured I was in for a huge challenge, and NOPE, I was trying to figure out what to do next, I removed the bezel in order to not harm it, and the movement fell out in my hand. lolol I forgot to mention that it had no crown.
ANOTHER BIG SHOCK, looks like the movement is 99% clean, and only the balance wheel, spring, and a few more little things are bad. The rest is as clean as can be. It was so terrible before I cleaned it, that I just stuck it under the sink, figured it was trash anyway.
I guess my sink episode didn't hurt it though, because it is real clean inside.
The damiskeening on it is fantastic.
Oh, it's a 1920 Elgin, grade 384, 17 Jewel, Adjusted, Open Face 3/4 plate, with nickel damaskeening, model 3 Pendant set.
The case is a Wadsworth, Pendant Pat. Oct. 9, 1917 with Elgin engraved on the dust cover and has one of those places to engrave something there on it, with an engraved line that goes around the dust cover, 10K It's PERFECT!!
Well, that's the story of my first removal of a movement. Now if I only had it on film. LOLOL
Big Grin Eek Big Grin Smile

Sheila

posted
Sheila sounds like a very good movement to get fixed if not too badly corroded, i have a few of these movements and they are nice to work on.Like Lindell said, tea can do wonders for corosion.
I just said that about the WD 40 also because i hear of people on Ebay lubing their watches with this stuff.
Glad you got the movement out, and you have a good case.
have fun and hope to see some pictures soon.

posted
Hi Kev,
I think I'm going to try to take the movement apart and play with it some. A huge thing for me, since I NEVER like to touch a watch. I like to leave that to the pros. I even take care of the junk ones.
For the sake of just having this information, what do I do, when I want to soak the watch in penetrating oil like you mentioned? Do I put it in a cup FILLED with oil, or do I just put some on it? Soaking, is to enclose it, to me. Is that right?

Another thing I didn't mention is that when I "washed" the watch, it had a the typical old dirty dial. Well, after cleaning it, it came out really nice! I thought I would lose all of the face of the thing, because it looks to be just a painted dial. Weird, it actually looks so much nicer, and not one bit of the paint came off.

I haven't started playing with the camera yet, I had company today, and the entire time I was just itching to get into it. But alas....

I will spend the night on it.
You may come back here and actually see some pictures tomorrow.
I didn't get the lenses today, so I have no idea if I will be able to get much. I will try.

Bless

Sheila