• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Speaking of endshake... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Has anybody seen how Rockford adressed the adjustment of balance staff endshake in their 18S model 7 and 8? It seems most interesting, but does require some fiddling with each time the watch is cleaned. It involves having threaded circular "jewel settings."

Here's a picture...

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
And here's a simple schematic of the parts in place...

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Thanks Mike,I didn't know about this type of end shake adjustment in the higher grade American watches,although I've wondered why all makers didn't use this method for end shake adjustment-I have a "doller" watch that uses a simple screw type adj.to get the correct endshake--sure beats the heck out of any other method!!

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
I think that one reason it wasn't used more is that there is a great potential for it to get out of whack. When a watch is broken down for cleaning, both the upper and lower screw settings are removed (both on the pillar plate and balance bridge). This being the case, not only the endshake has to be re-set, but the whole height of the balance and the relation of the roller table to the balance fork needs to be scrutinized.

With your run of the mill watch, with finely machined parts, the parts go back together within factory specifications. In reality, I cannot figure why Rockford would have come up with this arrangement. Jewels, balance staffs, plates, etc would all have been made to stringent specifications, making the need for this adjustment not a high priority.

Incidentally, I received this watch from a watchmaker friend. When he handed it to me he muttered something about... "Keeping a boy out of mischief by having him wash the hogs."

Mike Miller