Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about shellac.... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I got a new microscope the other day and today I discovered something. Yesterday I coa'd a Rockford 16s. I used the scope to help me in assembley and got it together and it was running. Today I discovered it quit. I could see the balance worked fine but the fork was not moving.I dissembled the unit and looked at the Roller jewel and thought it was broke. I poped it off the staff and put it under the microscope and discovered that it was still there but on the wrong side of the table. I took a very fine needle like tool and touched it to the bottom of the table and the shellac had dissolved in the Ultra Sonic tank (Zenith cleaning fluid) and the roller jewel was about to fall through. The shellac looked like blobed glue.
Had it not been for the microscope I'd have lost that jewel because I didn't think it was there, I thought it was broken.
1 up for the use of a scope.
The punch line to this is What causes shellac to dissolve like that? It literately turned into some type of goo.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I don't see an answer to this dilemma yet, but maybe the last guy that worked on it didn't know shellac from Shinola! Cool Roll Eyes

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1650
posted
Maybe the roller jewel was held in with super glue instead of shellac?

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Patrick,

Every watch service should include a check of the roller jewel and pallet jewels since old shellac fails too. Now that you have a microscope you will be surprised how many loose jewels you find. Especially roller jewels. They might not be loose to the point of falling out, but loose enough to rock back and forth with the pallet fork action and since we are dealing with very little power to send the balance on its way, ANY movement of the roller jewel translates into less amplitude and maybe other problems as well. Glad you are enjoying using your new scope.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Patrick,

When utilizing our "Find-Or-Search" feature when simply using the word "Shellac" I find that there are 125 postings.

You might also find additional information in those previous posts.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5232 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002