• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What type of lubricant for a sticky stem? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am new to pocket watches, but have always loved them.
I own a Hampden which was serviced not too long ago, yet the stem is "sticky". Whenever I pull up on the stem to set the time it takes a very hard pull. Other than that I am very happy with it.
My experience with a variety of lubes is mostly with pocket knives and firearms so wanted to check here first to see if anyone has a favorite brand or category of lubricant.
Thanks very much in advance.

Posts: 2 | Location: Frederick, Maryland in the USA | Registered: April 29, 2014
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
What you have described is a stem/sleeve combination that fits down into the pendant urn.

A "stiff" pull to snap it into the set position usually denotes either a fairly new stem/sleeve or a rusted stem/sleeve combination.

Many amateurs semi clean and polish the cases yet fail to disassemble the stem/sleeve/crown first. They then rinse it with water and shine it up but the stem/sleeve ends up rusting inside the pendant and perhaps over time becomes "sticky" and hard to operate. The sleeve has 3-4 fingers that fit over the stem. These fingers over time from rust and years of use will sometimes break a finger or two off. Generally at that time the sleeve will need to be replaced.

One needs to have the ability to remove the movement, then unscrew the crown, take a sleeve wrench and unscrew the stem/sleeve assembly and remove it from the pendant. If it is rusted, one may take steel wool and/or a small wire brush and remove all of the rust. I then like to inspect the fingers and make sure everything is intact.

Then I use any light oil and coat the entire sleeve/stem assembly and lay it down on a towel and let the excess oil drip off. I then will take a light weight grease and put a tiny amount on my fingers and work it over the metal so it will stay coated. I wipe any excess off with a towel. Then it is reassembly and see how it now operates.

If still stiff, then I would snap it up and down without the movement in the case until it is broken in.

We may need to relocate this thread to our "Watch Repair Q&A Forum" where we attempt to work on watches over there.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Michael, Buster's reply says it all for lubing (and cleaning) the sleeve/stem. If the stem still resists pulling and setting, then it is the wind/set mechanism on the dial plate.

I have found 80% of the "Sticky Stem" watches I have rehabilitated have an overly dirty ("Sticky") Wind-Set mechanism on the dial plate under the dial. This also (usually) means the watch should be cleaned, lubed and timed. Elgin 18s Pendant set mechanism shown below, they are all near the same looking mechanisms.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
This is the [LIVE LINK:] Stem & Sleeve Assembly Tutorial from John D. Duvall's "HELPING HAND TUTORIALS" [which is located] about 1/2 way down the main page.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Thanks very much everyone. In addition to the helping hands video I was wondering if there is a series which covers the absolute most fundamental things for someone like me who is a total novice.

Posts: 2 | Location: Frederick, Maryland in the USA | Registered: April 29, 2014