Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case Repair "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 229
posted
Hi All....I am about to attempt some hinge repair on a few Gold Filled PW Cases....what kind of SOLDER should I be using...and....where is it available?...Thanks.

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
You should be using gold solder and a jeweler's torch, and if you're not, you're about to mess up.

Common lead and/or tin solder isn't nearly strong enough for case hinge repairs, and it will adhere to the metal, thereby making any future repairs much more difficult, if not impossible.

If you've never attempted to solder hinge segments on a watch case before, I'd strongly advise you to practice first on some that aren't too good. First, apply a small amount of solder to the tube section itself, and make sure it adheres well, then apply some flux in the groove in the case, place the hinge tube in position, and heat the case directly below the tube until the solder flows and sticks to the case.

As long as you held everything in proper position, you didn't allow the tube itself to fill with solder, you didn't apply so much solder that it bubbled up at the ends of the tube, and you didn't apply so much heat that you melted or distorted the case, you shouldn't have anything to worry about!

=========================

Steve Maddox
President, Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Yikes!

You make a very difficult job sound...very difficult... Steve!

That's one repair I'd definitely steer clear of!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Sounds like a whole new learning curve...where do I get this "gold solder"?

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
posted
Here you go. I found reference to SO-490 as a low temperature gold solder should get you started soldering your gold.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Case repairs are a specialty of their own, and I try to avoid them whenever possible. I've done a few of my own (enough to know how difficult it is, especially for someone without a background in jewelry work), but I wouldn't feel good about working on anyone else's.

Fortunately, I do have a recommendation, which is Wuischpard & Son, in Florida.

http://www.watchcaserepair.com/

The father was the "W" from the "S&W Watch Case Co.," which produced most of the asymmetrical Hamilton Electric cases, etc. I've never sent anything there myself, but people I respect tell me they're the best in the business. They can even fabricate cases from scratch, but I'll bet that would cost an arm and BOTH legs!

As always, I hope this helps!

=======================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
OK...thanks for the input...I think I'll order some...SO-490 from S.Larose...and play a little
...if I'm successful...I'll get back to you folks...if I'm not.....I'll be....Hiding