• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

940 Cannon Pinion Tightening "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
What's the correct way of tightening the type of cannon pinion found on a Hamilton 940? Here's a picture of one for reference...

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Mike, if I am not mistaken the pictured canon pinion is already broken. There should be a flange of steel on the open side of this piece that is missing. There is no way to tighten this one.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Mike,
This is certainly not a fix but it might get you by until you get another cannon pinion. Put the hand end of the pinion in a staking block so the hole in the pinion is facing up. Take a three corner punch and tap it in the hole lightly so you make a burr in it. This may tighten it enough for the time being.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Thanks Jerry and Brian,

I was wondering if it might be broken. Guess I had better start hunting around for a replacement. The three corner punch did the trick for now.

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002