• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

lathe speeds needed "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone know RPM needed for buffing, drill turning etc? I thought the sleeve-WW lathes could run up to 5,000 RPM and the ball-bearing models 10,000?
I'm asking as I am re-motoring my lathe. The watch-craft motor said 6,000 rpm and the replacement is 2,500 rpm. Sounds like I need to cut some bigger pulleys and/or countershaft to make a good selection of speeds.
Someone here must have encountered this before?

Michael

Posts: 51 | Location: Hurst, Texas USA | Registered: January 14, 2007
posted
Michael,

you wouldnt need such speeds for turning neither for buffing...when buffing much depends on the diametre of the brush/wheel you install though personally i wouldnt buff on a watchmaker lathe....normally 3000 RPM is a buffing industry standard, pheripheral speed is what really counts...

Such very high RPM are instead useful when drilling with Widia drills but that doesnt happen on a watchmaker lathe but on a sensitive drill.

W/m lathes are operated at 1000 aro average speed depending on tasks.

High precision/high speed lathes such Schaublin etc are meant for high volume productions.

rgds

Enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005