• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

specific questions on tools "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Ok, some tool questions based on the fact that I am learning watchmaking and have acquired most of the basic tools and a nice staking set already but would like to know what else I should really have. I have been learning on my own using the Chicago School's course (I'm halfway through) and the Fried book. I'd like to be as complete with my tools as possible but also need to save some money where possible.

I have a nice truing caliper. Do I need a poising tool also, or can I get away with just the caliper?

Do I really need a micrometer?

Mainspring winder? Necessity?

Mainspring punch or try the Fried method for making a hole in a damaged mainspring?

Staff remover for the staking set?

Tool preference for removing the weight of a balance screw.

I still don't have files, broaches or pin vises yet, but think these are a must.

I don't have a lathe, but that's going to be a while until I thoroughly learn the basics and get to that point. But I hope to get there someday.

What I have already, screwdrivers, tweezers, bench key, loupes, sleeve wrench, vernier caliper, truing caliper, movement holder, staking set.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Poising tool - YES, especially if you are working on pocket watches. If you're only working on post 1980's ETA movements then perhaps you don't need one.

Micrometer - YES, you can get a cheap electronic one on EBAY that works just fine and is an indispensable tool.

Mainspring winder - MAYBE, a lot of replacement springs are designed so that you can press them into the barrel. Older spring replacements it is better to have a winder. You can always do it by hand but that is sub-optimal. Also, doing it by hand on an 18s movement will hurt your fingers (maybe).

Mainspring Punch - MAYBE, but it's better to replace the mainspring. If you are going to try and repair them then... good luck. I understand though, new springs are now very expensive.

Staff Remover - Probably NO. You should use a lathe. (Some watchmakers buy up those staff removers just so they can destroy them, they can do a lot of damage to the balance even when used properly.)

Tool to Remove Balance Screw - A Balance Screw Remover.

Other tools... yes, broaches, pin vises, hand holder tool for broaching, roller table remover, balance screw undercutter, small anvil, hand hole measurer, collet closer, pivot straightener, various movement holders, pallet warmer (for shellacking), brass hammer and a KD Inverto Staking set , plus some others I forgot.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Here's one of my favorite tools. Pick one up if you can one.

It's hollow on one end and has a little nub sticking out.

This size fits perfectly on top of 16s/18s collets. The little nub fits right into the place where most people would put a small screwdriver or pin. It's very easy to twist the collet around to loosen it. Also it's very easy to move the collet around when you're adjusting the beat.

The other end of the tool is flat piece of very hard and thin steel, like a mini spatula. It's very ease to work the between the collet and the balance and gently work around the collet, prying up a little as you go. I love this tool because it's so easy to use (great design) and I've never damaged a collet or hairspring with it.

posted
Frank, thanks for the replies.

I actually got lucky on an ebay auction that had almost every one of the tools I needed in one big box. The pictures were good and there was a list, so I managed to pick up a hand puller, canon pinion puller, pallet warmer,roller jewel tool for shellacing, broaches, files, anvil, roller table remover, a bottle of the sticks of shellac, sleeve wrench, movemment holder, some kind of poising tool, calipers, hammer (not sure it's brass though), balance screw under-cutter, balance screw holders, gravers, bench keys, pin vices, dennison gauge, and various other items that I'm not even sure what they were yet. All for 75 bucks. They all looked to be in good shape too.

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
Dale, even if they're not in that great shape you got a pretty good deal.

Here's a tip for the poising tool. You can get these little levels for a buck or less and it's a lots quicker to get your poising tool level using these. And then there are a lot of poising tools that don't have the handy leveling bubbly.

posted
The tools were in amazing shape and there were even more than I expected. A jewel pusher, a beautiful little round box with a ruby jewel oil cup, and other things I need to post pictures of that I don't know what they are. Even a weird little poising tool I've never seen before.

It took a half hour to unwrap it all. It was so much fun!