• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can't understand why... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Someone brought in a 18S Rockford that needed a new balance staff... Upon looking at the balance I was amazed to see this screw arrangement. Any ideas on why this might have been done? interestingly, it is not to far out of poise, and with the new staff is a good timekeeper. The smallest screw has actually been glued onto the balance.

Do I leave well enough alone, or hunt for appropriate balance screws?

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I personally would leave it. It aint broke I wouldnt fix it but thats just me.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
To me, work of that sort is a disgrace, and I'd never allow anything I worked on to leave my shop looking like that! Would you want someone showing THAT to their friends and telling them YOU did the balance work on it?

The reason it's in some semblance of balance is that the screws are of mixed metals; some are gold, while others are brass. The side with fewer gold screws needs the extra brass one because gold is heavier than brass.

Over all, that work reminds me of the "masterpiece" that was discussed a couple of ago in the following topic:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=3426047761&m=9666087613

=====================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
I have a balance-screw question that seems appropriate for this thread.
I have a Hamilton 978L with a "Hamilton Time-King" dial. The watch runs well but gains way too much time. When I first received the watch it didn`t run. Upon partial disassembley a small (real small!) balance screw fell out. The screw is irretrievably lost. I`m sure this missing screw is causing it to run fast. My question is; Will an Elgin balance screw of similar size/weight be a suitable replacement? I have an Elgin screw assortment that contains numerous bal. screws.
I don`t have a poising tool but thought any screw of like weight would be an improvement. Any comments or info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Kenny,

Taking Steve Maddox's previous post into consideration, is the opposing screw made of brass or gold? Does it appear to be a mean timing screw (located at the balance arm) or just a regular timing screw? Post a picture of the balance if you're unsure.

I believe most genuine Elgin balance screw assortments were gold. If it is gold and not a mean timing screw, you could remove the remaining opposite screw and install an equivalent, matching pair from the assortment. That should keep the poise somewhat close. You may have to try several matching pairs to find ones that will give you the best results.

You should also examine the remaining screws carefully and ensure others are not missing and all are torqued properly.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Steve,

I just re-read that previous post on the subject and it is eerily familiar. Perhaps the same "watchmaker" that worked on that Illinois had his mits in this Rockford.

I am on the lookout for some appropriate balance screws, so if anyone has some appropriate gold spares, let me know.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I had several Waltham gold balance screws and they fit the Rockford just fine. I removed the two obviously undersized screws that were glued in. I had to do a little undercutting of the one screw that was set in to bring it back into poise. It looks much better and let's hope that it will help the timekeeping...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

By the way, its a Rockford 18S Grade 918. I'll post pictures on my site when the project is complete.

Mike Miller

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Very nice results!! And BTW,thanks John for your advice on my 15J Elgin balance--haven't gotten to it yet,but am looking forward to the job Big Grin

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
John.
I would think the screws on the Hamilton balance are gold. My screw assortment is not just a balance assortment just a general Elgin assortment from S LaRose which includes a number of bal-screws.
Here is a bad pic but best I could do with my scanner. I doctored it slightly so fuzzy portion is more apparent.
Your advice about replacing both missing and opposing screw with identical ones makes a lot of sense. Didn`t think of that.
I really appreciate your advice. You answered all my questions I think.

Thanks!

Kenny

Hamilton 978 balance

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Kenny,

It looks as though you have mean timing screws next to the balance arms and at right angles to it.

If you want, you can mail me the opposing screw and I will match you up with a pair of matching screws to get you going. Just email me and I will give you my mailing address.

John D. Duvall

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
John,
On it`s way tomorrow. And thanks a bunch!

Smile

Kenny

IHC Life Member
posted
Below is a picture of Kenny's screw (center) he sent me and the two screws I was able to match up for him. Looking closely, you will see that the screw has been undercut. This was probably done during poising of the balance. If the missing screw had the same amount of material removed, then replacement with the new matching screws probably won't upset the poise that much. However, if the missing screw had little or no material removed and the poise is upset, it will not time correctly in the pendant positions.

Before attempting to time a watch you need a good baseline. A good baseline consists of a movement that is clean and oiled with a poised balance.

John D. Duvall

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Thanks John for providing the screws and for the excellent advice. I`ve installed the screws and the watch is still running fast but not nearly as fast as before. I turned the mean time screws out 1/4 turn each. On last check it had gained 3 minutes in 10 1/2 hours so it is getting closer. Think I will try turning them out another 1/4 turn and if needed one further 1/4 turn. I believe this will put me very close to correct time. Don`t think I should go any further than that (total of 3/4 turns in 1/4 increments) Will post back with results. Again,thanks John for your help.

Kenny