WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pallet Fork Question - Taking Apart First Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Pallet Fork Question - Taking Apart First Movement

I bought a 12 size working practice movement that I've completely disassembled. Can someone tell me what the test is to make sure the pallet fork has engaged the bottom slot in the balance staff. I'd like to make sure it is placed correctly before putting the movement back together. Thanks.

Posts: 570 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 13, 2015
posted
Keith,

On single roller safety pin goes up and double roller safety pin will be on the bottom of the pallet. Next I would look for the pallet pivots to make sure they in position before I tighten down the pallet bridge. After that put a little power on the mainspring and make sure the pallet is getting power down the train by gently moving the pallet away from the banking pin. When you do this the pallet should on it's own snap to the other banking pin. Test in other direction also where it should snap to the other banking pin. If not something is wrong either in the gear train or pallet. Then just drop your balance in with the hairspring stud attached and make sure the roller jewel is in the fork of the pallet by viewing it or slightly moving the balance back and forth to see if the pallet is moving as the roller jewel moves in and out of the pallet fork. If the pallet is moving and the balance pivots are in their hole jewels tighten the balance cock on down. Takes some practice to get the feel for this process. Hope this helps Keith!

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
posted
Thank you, Rob. Your comments make total sense. Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed explanation. I bought a good set of Bergeon screwdrivers and a couple nice pairs of Dumont tweezers along with a headband magnifier. Having the right tools is really a benefit. Also won an auction on a nice set of Master Craft precision capillary oilers and ordered a bottle of Moebius oil to give this movement a COA. Be a long time before I try this on one of my collection pieces.

By the way, the Waltham Royal is running great and keeping excellent time. You did an excellent job.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
As Rob said be sure the fork is fitting the pallet. You can do this with a little tool made for this purpose or with the parts in you hand.
What you are doing is basically called Putting the watch in beat. So it will self start with out having to bump it to run. You probably should put it in beat any way. Also check to be sure the stones are tight in the fork.
The hair spring has to be just right position in relation to the Roller jewel. If you need some 12s I will send you one just for the postage cost. I have lots of them.
Patrick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Thanks, Patrick. I appreciate the offer on the 12 size.

I'll take any opportunity to practice and will send you an email.

Keith

posted
Email sent Patrick. May have to check your junk mail as I use my work email address. Thanks.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Pin up for single roller is not always the case. I have a 18s Century that is a single roller and due to the configuration it is pin down.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011