Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watchmakers Bench Height "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I am going to make a small desktop bench to work on watches.

Assuming sitting up and looking straight ahead, where should the top be in relation to my chin?

Well it makes sense to me. Smile

Thanks

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
start here and look at the pictures:

https://www.google.com/search?...t.html%3B1280%3B1024

my bench is raised up by 4 bed risers from walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/1510...=78307269752&veh=sem

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Lorne checked one of the old watchmakers bench i have in storage and they measure 38 inches to the work top.

I made the one i use and it,s 39 inches tall and 6 feet long. What i did was build a cabinet on each end with plenty of drawers and made the top out of a white kitchen cabinet formica counter top.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
how funny mine is 38 inches.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1892
posted
Mine is also 38" high. I find it very helpful to use a chair that can be raised and lowered easily.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1736
posted
My bench is 36" and my chair is an antique 4 leg piano stool with a round seat and long acme threaded seat post. I can adjust my seat height from 16" to 26"... and I do change it for different kinds of work, or just for a change of pace/position.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks boys, I am 5'8", did a mock-up and it seems 37" is about right.

I do have an adjustable chair and will have the option for adding a 1" plinth should I need it.

I just have to quit thinking about what it looks like and build it.

Picked up some choice wood when my visit to the dump coincided with that of a local cabinet maker.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Here is where I am at this point, since I am just making this up as I go there is a lot of sitting, thinking and trial cutting. You can see the top in the background.

I just have to make the drawers now, all the strips are cut and I have a drawer lock bit but it has been a while so have to relearn the procedure.

The question I have is about the slide out tray you see top centre on a lot of these benches.

Is it supposed to have a soft surface to catch dropped parts or is it just another work surface.

I can still add it however the way I have set up the drawers it will not be as wide as most I see.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Lorne the slide out is something you will need mine is pulled out a little any time i work on a watch,, they were made to catch anything that might fall off the front of your bench mine has saved several movements and parts from hiting the floor.

On all the old benchs they are nothing more than a slide out frame with a canvas or some similar material for the bottom of the drawer,,i can take a picture of one if you want. Looks like you are off to a good start on your bench

IHC Member 1541
posted
I think what I will do is just glue strips around the edge of a piece of plywood so the surface is inset then glue a piece of leather to it.

That way there will still be a raised edge and anything that lands on the leather won't bounce as readily.

I have pool table cloth as well but like the idea of leather.

How far do they usually slide out?

It seems anything more than 6 or 8 inches would just get in the way.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Lorne the slide outs on the old benchs were about 14-16 inches deep and the front of them is curved in the center ,,that way they can be pulled out quite a bit and not be in the way ,,also by being that deep they are stable when pulled out..

The canvas material was attached on the bottom of the slide out that way there is a little lip on the sides,,The canvas material works good when something falls on it it stays put no bounce at all.

Later today i will try and get a picture for you of one of the slides. Smile

IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Samie, much appreciated.

I have thought about this and decided not to put the slide in this bench.

The way I have configured the drawers makes a slide too narrow to be of any use.

I will go with the Dave Abbe method of using an apron attached with velcro.

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi Lorne,
could you or David describe for me the velcro and apron method.
i just today set up a new bench that sits at 35 inches because working at my desk was giving me a sore back and neck.
it is just an old butcher block from our old kitchen before the last reno.
what a difference it makes. still rudimentary i know but getting better every day.
thanks
todd

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Member 1541
posted
Todd, a search for velcro didn't bring anything up.

As Dave describes it, while at his bench he wears an apron with the bottom attached to the underside of the front lip and it catches any parts before they hit the floor.

Perhaps he will chime in with a photo.

EDIT: Found it!

Butterfingers...

Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
that is a beautiful solution!
but i have to delete this before my wife sees it or i will end up velcroed to the kitchen table!

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Lorne here is a picture of the slide ouy on a old bench I have in storage

IHC Member 1541
posted
I am kind of pleased with myself, just waiting on some brass knobs from Lee Valley.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Some dividers that have been sitting in my shop for years. I should have made one of the drawers double deep, next time. Smile

IHC Member 1541
posted
This centre slide out is pretty well useless but it made the whole thing look better and was fun to make.

IHC Member 1541
posted
The grain on the top is beautiful but the camera doesn't capture the 3D effect, it's like you are looking down on a mountain range.

Sadly it will be covered with that no bounce white stuff.

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Beautiful job Lorne! well done!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1357
posted
Lorne beautiful work.Something to be proud of.

Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Very nice Lorne,

What kind of wood? Looks like oak, but has an exceptional grain.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
Yes it is pretty well all oak and all scrounged from various places. Not like I'm trying to save the earth I just like re-using old wood

Top is plywood, drawer fronts and trim are old table legs I found at the dump long age. I cut them to take advantage of the quarter sawn grain.

I had one little freak out.

When I was cutting the saw kerf for the drawer bottoms I made mistake and cut the front rather than the inside. I then cut them all and glued in that little strip of mahogany, it actually worked out quite well.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Nice work Lorne! It is nice to have the skills to make your own furniture.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1892
posted
Beautiful job Lorne!! You are a pretty talented guy. I think you will be surprised at how often you use that little pull out drawer. My bench has a little drawer in that spot and I am always setting something on it to look at when I have a watch dismantled on the bench. John

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 2030
posted
Very nice Lorne. No gaps. We will expect some fine work to be made on that bench!

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1541
posted
Yah it's all fun and games until I am expected to actually repair something. Smile

I did have to shim one drawer with a piece of edge banding.

Thank you for all of your kind comments.