Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton "Craig" refurbishing. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings and salutations!
I have a Hamilton Craig that I am looking to have cleaned up, tuned up and made pretty again. I took it somewhere locally and now have questions for all of the gurus out here. To have it tuned up and a new crystal put on, he quoted me approx. $70.00. Which is fine. The major questions:
To have the...tarnished? faded? dirty looking face cleaned to look like the outside edges, white-ish, he said that it would have to be repainted. Is that the best thing to have done? Should I try to track down a new face instead? Would that be more or less than the $100.00 to have it repainted?
He also said that the crystal may have to be replaced with a plastic one if they can't find a glass one. Are those difficult to find? Does it change the overall value of the watch if it has a plastic instead of a glass crystal?
The watch has more of sentimental concern than a monetary concern to me, but it would be nice to keep it as close to original as possible, right?
Anyway, any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Edward,

I created a shortcut in the Wristwatch discussion area. Maybe someone there can answer your question.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John,
Thank you very much for forwarding this to the discussion area. I know this isn't necessarily the most important or interesting posting on here, but it is something that I want to have done. It's very nice to know that there are people willing to help out those of us who aren't quite as knowledgable as others.
Confused
Thanks again!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Edward if this is one i was going to keep and it has sentimental value i would say have the dial refinshied International dial would charge around 30.00 for a refinish,,there is other co,s that do this also.
a plastic crystal would work fine of, course glass would be better but may not be easy to find.a plastic crystal wont change the value of the watch. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004