• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin convertible clutch lever screw "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone know what the size and length is for the Elgin clutch lever screw on an Elgin convertible grade 49? My screw goes into the whole without the clutch lever but does not tighten down with the lever in place. It looks like the first part of the screw hole is stripped. Is there a longer screw? Do I need to retap the whole?

Thanks,
Larry

Posts: 81 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: October 22, 2019
IHC Member 1650
posted
My suggestions would be:
1. Close the hole slightly using a hole closing punch in your staking set. Since the plate is softer than the screw, it is often possible to recut threads into the plate.

2. Find a longer screw. You need to have an assortment of miscellaneous screws to search through. I bought an assortment on eBay with thousands of screws. Very handy.

Doug

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
update: purchased 0.8mm x 2mm screw from mcmaster carr and a tapp. Used a broach and made the spring hole larger for the screw. Tapped the whole and the screw is holding.

Larry

Posts: 81 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: October 22, 2019
IHC Member 1650
posted
Good deal!

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011