WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    What tools will I need in order to replace glass pocket watch crystals....
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What tools will I need in order to replace glass pocket watch crystals.... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
What tools will I need in order to replace glass pocket watch crystals(OF and hunter)...I mainly deal in size O, 12 and 16 size pocket watches....I found this on ebay:

Vintage Vigor Crystal Remover w/ Holding Die & Swiss Inserter Plate - Watch Tool
I didn't know if this is the correct size tool....Also any recommendations as to brand tool and additional items needed....Thank you, Robert

"It's like deja vu all over again..."

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
IHC Member 456
posted
Robert, the tool shown is for replacing plastic wristwatch crystals. It squeezes the crystal diameter so it can be inserted/removed.
You really don't need anything for glass crystals. Just push it out and snap the new one in carefully. If it is loose you may need some crystal cement to keep it from turning. You will need to clean the bezel rim of the old glue if there was any.
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
IHC Member 1357
posted
Robert,I personnaly do not use tools to replace crystals.I clean the bezel with acetone and a small screwdriver.Place a small amount of rodico in the center of the crystal apply a small amount of G-S Hypo cement(glue) to the bezel lip,pick up the crystal by the rodico place in bezel lip and rotate.Wipe as quickly as I can the bezel to remove any overruns.This seems to work for me. Regards Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
If a round glass crystal is the right size, it will stay in by friction alone. Just make sure you clean out the groove ahead of time and once the crystal is in place, spin it around until it binds securely. If a round glass crystal is too small, you will need to cement it in place.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Now that statement leads me to a question. (Crystal fitting is completely new to me.)
But, are you saying that if the crystal is the right size it drops in the groove? Or, do you have to force it somewhat? And how actually do you put it in... with your fingers... or some kind of tool?
I've tried, but evidently I don't have the right size crystal yet.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Thanks guys for the info....Can someone explain the best way to measure for a crystal?....I have a good idea but would like to hear it from the experts...Thanks....

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Dave,

When you first get it in the groove, the correct size crystal will turn, just turn it with your fingers until it binds up, then its in for good.

Robert,

Either use a crystal gauge or a digital caliper.

Crystal Gauge in Use

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Edward,
Guess I haven't found the right size crystal yet.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Thanks to everyone who has replied....I see what Ed has but I don't have a crystal to measure by I just have the cover....If I measure with a caliper gauge the inner diameter of the void then do you use the inches or millimeter exact measurement and add or subtract a set amount(maybe a trick that helps)?....Is there a book or article for doing this on the IHC185 site(I can't find one) or a book I can get?.....Thanks in advance.... Smile

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Robert,

I did a quick search on fitting glass crystals, here are the results:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...tting+glass+crystals

William White isn't making crystals right now, but there's still a lot of relevant info.

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Robert,

The crystal tool you have found is for plastic crystals as has already been mentioned, for glass crystals a lot of people will use crystal cement. I personally do not like this idea as it does over a period of time cause case discoloration problems, especially on silveroid type cases. I use a bezel heater, heat the bezel up and then fit the crystal, as the bezel cools the crystal becomes tighter. In doing this you must be carefull in your crystal size selection, as it only has to be .05mm to .1mm larger than the opening of the bezel. This opening is best measured with a digital vernier caliper. For fitting of plastic crystals the selection of .5mm larger diameter crystal then the bezel opening is used, hence no need for cement once again. Please be aware that if you have a thin sectioned bezel use only .2mm to .3mm larger, otherwise distortion of the bezel its' self can occur. All the information above is from my own experience, others could have different methods that work just as well.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Thanks again to all that responded...This has been a real help.... Smile