Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Screwdrivers. Did Bergeon miss the boat? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I have a set of Bergeon ($108.00) screwdrivers.
I don't like the quality of them. The set screws come loose and then get bungled up from the constant tightening of them and the blades are expensive. I like the double bladed collet type where you just turn the blade around and re tighten the collet.
What is your idea of a preferred screwdriver?
Armway made a beautiful set but I can't find them on the internet.
Patrick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The set screw Bergeon was all I used because that was all I had. Most important, I kept them sharp, and I used Blued Steel blades that I bought from another supplier because they cost about 1/5 as much and held their "tip" longer than the softer Bergeon blades.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I still have my Bergeon set from 20 years ago. I never bought their replacement blades, instead I got the correct gauges of steel wire and just made my own. I've never had any issue with the set screws.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Well, maybe Ill just use a little Lock tight on them. I tried to find some allen head set screws but couldn't find a match.
Thanks for the help.

David, where did you get the blued blades?

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
If you want to, you can buy genuine replacement screws. e.g., http://www.ofrei.com/page239.html. I expect that other suppliers can source them, even if they don't list the screws on their website.

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2011