Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Oiling Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I've recently been working on some character wrist watches. These are 0 jewel. The balance pivots set in steel cups. I put a very tiny amount of escapement oil in each cup, but since the pivot is so blunt and there is no hole, I am concerned that I may be adding friction to this set up.

To confirm this, I re-cleaned the movement and re-assembled without oling the balance cups (not sure what to call them since they are not jewels or bushings). I got much better readings on my timing machine.

I would like to know your opinions on if they should be oiled. Also, can anyone tell me if the pins on a pin lever should get any oil. I think not, but would like to hear comments.

Thanks.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
I usually oil these pivot cups with Mobious 941. You might want to ask the same question on this site and see what they have to say.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Lawrence,
Thanks for the link. That is a great website.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003