Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

TORQUE. SOLVED "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
How tight is tight? I have had some units that I literately have to pin down to get the screws out, some that had screws snapped off in the base plate and some that show signs of the screwdriver slipping in an effort to remove or tighten the screw and some with the screws completely destroyed.
I stop when the screw bottoms out or tightens up and then maybe a tad bit more. Just tight is enough for me. How tight do you think they should be? I know you keep your screw drivers in perfect shape as I do. My stone sets on my bench and I use it very often. Blades are cheap compared to the damage a bad one can do.
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Patrick,

Some people over tighten everything they get their hands on. Watch screws do not need to be very tight because after all, it's a tiny little machine, not a lawn mower engine! When removing screws from movements, they should come out with the same effort it took to tighten them by the last person. Sometimes you'll find a loose ratchet wheel screw but that's about it.

William

No animals were harmed in the making of this post!

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008