WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help! My movement will not seat properly in the case! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of John Beale
posted
I just bought a 992 on eBay with a virtually NOS Keystone JBoss gold filled case. When I got the watch I noticed that the front bezel would have a gap between it and the the center frame after screwing it down. After foolishly trying to clamp down on it and nearly damaging the dial I removed the movement and saw that it screws snugly in place. There is a little shelf on the inside of the front side threads that the movement sits on. From what I can tell this shelf is about .5 mm too high. Does anybody know how to fix this? Or is this case designed for a particular movement? It is a sweetheart case and belongs on one nice railroad grade watch.

Posts: 222 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard John!

That is a fairly basic installation, likely the situation you and apparently the previous owner experienced can be smoothed out. I would caution against forcing or making any modifications you might regret but rather take the movement out and begin again. Go slowly and methodically. If you are not familiar with this it can get complicated, but in the end your movement should fit. I will try to reach you by phone and we can go through this together.

Below this posting you will see a similar J. Boss Railroader for comparison.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Here is a side view of a movement in my case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Close-up showing the lever area relationship...

Picture of John Beale
posted
Thanks for the info Lindell. I am getting my money's worth here that's for sure. I will get the case back from my watch repairman this week and post a similar picture of the 992 movement in the case to illustrate the problem. Expect to hear back from me. Thanks a lot, John

Picture of John Beale
posted
Hi again. I got my watch case back from the jeweler and took 4 pictures that are posted below. I tried to take pictures of the inside of the front to show the little shelf that I think is supposed to be machined flush with the center frame. Please look them over and let me know what you think. If you agree it needs to be cut deeper then I would appreciate it if anybody could refer me to a repairman with the tools and machinery to do this work. Thanks, John

Picture of John Beale
posted
Another shot

Picture of John Beale
posted
Yet another shot...

Picture of John Beale
posted
Last one ...

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
John

Would it be possible to show a photo of the movement in the case from the back? Does it sit correctly in the back?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Can you show pictures of the bezel on the watch showing the problem? If the bezel screws down flush without the movement in it, then the bezel must be coming in contact with the dial. Are you sure the bezel belongs to that case? Usually there are numbers on all three parts that should match. It certainly looks from your pictures that the movement is sitting properly in the case.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I think Tom’s on the right track it needs a tiny bit turning out of the case back to allow it to seat, if you want me to take a look email me.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of John Beale
posted
Hi Guys, thanks for all the support on this. I am post three more pictures in response to Tom and Roger's post. The movement is unobstructed from slipping through the back of the case and it is clearly not seating properly. The front bezel does indeed sit perfectly flush with the center frame without a movement in it. WIth the movement it hits the dial. Here they come.

Picture of John Beale
posted
Movement side shot ...

Picture of John Beale
posted
Front bezel with movement inside ...

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
One problem you have is the movement case screws have been replaced with oversize ones and do not sit inside the plate recess drawing the movement in to position, and dial is also thicker aftermarket but may still work. Putting the correct case screws in or turning down the heads to size may answer a lot of the problems

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
John,
It looks like there's two problems here. First that case may have been made for a different movement. If you notice there is another set of screw marks from a previous movement. Look at how high the step is where the movement rests. On the case that Lindell shows the movement rests almost flush with the lever cut out and the case surface that the bezel tightens to. I confirmed this on a case that I have. Second it looks like your dial isn't quite seated all the way flush with the movement like it's outside diameter is too big and or ,like Chris noticed, it's too thick. There is a big gap betwwen the lever and the back of the dial. If you can't get your case to work I have a Keystone case that's this style in very nice condition that I don't need. I know your movement will fit properly in it. If you're interested send me an E-mail.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
The problem is becoming clearer with the picture of those case screws. In addition to what Chris said about the screw head diameter, make sure those screws aren't too long. If you put the movement in the case without the case screws, then screw the front bezel on, will the bezel turn down flush? If so, you will know for sure that the problem is entirely with the case screws. If it still doesn't go down flush, then you know the problem lies elsewhere. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Roger

posted
I always thought these cases were universal and almost any size 16 movement would fit in. Very strange.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Notice how the dial sits in this case, it's almost level with the top of the case. Both Lindells' case and Johns have two lever cut outs. I wonder if Johns is exactly like Lindells or if the step where the movement sits is different? RR

posted
John,
If you can't get this watch correct I would ask the seller for a refund if they didn't mention the bezel wouldn't seat in their description. Once I bought a Bunn Special and the case back wouldn't seat properly because it was recased and the seller refunded my money. If you need another case, dial, and case screws I dought this watch is worth what it cost. RR

Picture of John Beale
posted
Richard, thanks for looking this over good and hard. I have tried everybody's suggestions. I have tried several movements (Waltham Vanguard, 992, 992B) and none of them fit. The case screws on the 992 I currently am trying are the correct diameter head and screw flush inside the holes in the back of the movement. I am glad you see the step where the movement rests too, it looks to be way too high. If this were lower I think everything would fit. Can't help but feel like this is a manufacturing defect. I am throwing my hands up in the air on this one and sending the case and a 992 movement to Lindell who has diligently and patiently tried to walk me through this over the phone. If he can make it work I will be quite impressed. Expect to see a post from Lindell in about 1-2 weeks after he works his magic with it. John

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Well, we have all been speculating but now Smile we can make a proper comparison.

In the upper image below we see John's case, in the lower image an essentially identical model from my collection.

Follow the arrows and look all across this ledge where the movement rests you will see John's is not finished to the proper depth, it also appears to lack finishing touches inside as well. Hopefully a friend of mine who lives nearby and is doing some other case repairs for me will be able to make the needed cuts for us in his lathe. I had him take both John's case and mine so as to use mine as a template to make the needed corrections on John's case.

Wish us luck! Wink

John's case, upper image appears to lack final finishing...

IHC Life Member
posted
Well that looks pretty definitive. It looks like it should be a fairly easy matter of placing the case it a lathe and trimming it down.

Just as I was typing this we experienced a fairly significant earthquake and went outside. Shaking occurred for about 30 seconds. Pretty eerie feeling when the ground shakes beneath your feet. Sorry to add this hijack stuff to the thread.

Roger

Picture of John Beale
posted
Thanks for helping me out with this Lin. I am looking forward to it. If this case is a very late model restrike then I may be happy with the 992 movement I sent along with the case to be the final movement I use in it. I liked the idea of fitting a higher grade RR movement from the 30's into it, but if is isn't correct it doesn't make much sense.

Thanks again, John

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Hope things have improved Eek at Roger's house!

I think everyone will agree John's case has improved dramatically. Big Grin In the top image below you will see the 992 movement now extends through the frame as it should. Compare that to John's second February 28th image above in this topic to see the very big difference. Then in the lower image below you will see the bezel contacts the frame as it tightens, see John's third image from February 28th to see how that has changed.

Key to making necessary revisions to John's case-frame was having my essentially similar J.Boss Railroader Case available for comparison. Our friend and fellow IHC185 Member Don Mathis did a really nice job at a very reasonable price. When I installed John's movement it dropped in smoothly and functions as it should.

John's movement is now properly center-lined in the frame...

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Wow! I'm impressed with the cooperation and spirit of helpfulness this thread. I also learned a lot. This is a great place to hang out.

Thanks John for the post. Nice job Lindell and Don on getting that case fixed up proper.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of John Beale
posted
Hi Everybody, I got the watch back from Lin in the mail today. It is perfect. Very sharp looking 992. Not sure I could find a better example if I spent 20 years searching. Looks like this one is a keeper and may get passed on to my kids when ... well, you know when. I will post a picture this weekend.

Thanks again Lin ... you are a first rate, professional, classy guy.