Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Needed on Elgin Doctor's Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I'm preparing to restore my new acquisition and need some info before I begin to take it down.

If anyone out there has worked on one of these, could you please describe what steps/tools/cautions are required to remove the sweep second wheel and pinion?

Thanks in advance for any info!

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Member 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
<Doug Sinclair>
posted
John,

I am not familiar with the watch you mentioned, but I am going to guess that it has the "indirect drive" sweep seconds hand as in the Hamilton military 4992B. These watches use a 4th wheel with an extended top pivot which carries the sweep second pinion drive wheel. There is a tool that is to be used for removal of that drive wheel. I consider removing that wheel without the proper tool to be very risky! I would further suggest you find one of the watch repair fraternity who knows the tool I mean, has one, and will remove the wheel for you! A quick check of the LaRose book doesn't list this particular remover, nor does Merrits. I would suggest that this tool would be a good investment, if you can find one. The price would likely be less than a replacement 4th wheel. And likely more available. Tread carefully! And I'm glad you asked.

Doug S.

IHC Life Member
posted
Doug,

Thank you very much! I believe the tool you are referring is similar to a gear or wheel puller that many of us have used on car repairs, only in miniature form! I've seen a couple different types for watches, depending upon how many spokes the wheel has. One has two legs and the other, three. My watch has five spokes so I will probably need the three-leg puller.

Also, the seconds hand pinion and arbor will probably pull out, once I remove the seconds hand and the little jewel cock that is screwed into the mainspring bridge.

If I find the tool somewhere, I will post a link for our members and guests.

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Member 192

Watch Repair Expert
posted
John,

What you need is a "Presto #3 Sweep Wheel Remover." Those are pretty common, and I'm sure you can find one without any difficulty.

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Steve,

Thanks, I was going to ask if those would work. I found them at http://www.ofrei.com earlier at work.

Also, on pages 155-157 in the TM 9-1575 Army manual (my favorite), they discuss an Elgin wristwatch which is very similar to the 16s doctor's watch. The seconds pinion wheel is on the same arbor as the 3rd wheel.

I went ahead and took the watch down and removed the 3rd wheel assembly with the train bridge. I know it's not good pratice but I'm going to clean the bridge and wheels without removing the seconds pinion wheel. I found that you can get to everthing for cleaning and oiling. Here is what it looks like:

http://www.qnet.com/~jdduvall/3rdwheels.jpg
John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Member 192

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Curiosity is killing me. How has this project progressed so far? Inquiring minds want to know! High regards. Mark Cross

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark, The results are right here. https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=1086047761&m=9846048222
It came out super nice.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Very Proud IHC Charter #55
We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you sir! Regards. Mark Cross

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002