Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need problems "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
The forum is looking pretty ragged lately, so lets get some problems in here to liven the place up. And some problem solvers also. As soon as I can get some time, I'll throw my problems in here too.

So all you problems and problem solvers, lets mix it up.

Frank Wink

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I,ll try but some problems never seem to go away

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Frank,

You can blame me for this! As the moderator, I should have something posted here to keep people interested. I'll think of something to post when I get off work later tonight.

Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention. Wink

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
I thought maybe we had em all fixed?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Good point Kenny!

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Okay heres one. Two 18s RR Grade movements,Ham 936 and Wal Crescent Street. Both time well except in one pendant position right or left can't remember which but the same on one on both. Neither static or dynamic poising will bring them to time in this one position the opposite pendant is fine. Any thoughts?

George

Posts: 52 | Location: Richland, Washington USA | Registered: April 19, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Two things to check, that might cause what your are describing.

1. Is the guard pin slightly off center? Sometimes it will just start to rub when the movement is turned to one side, and not affect any other position.

2. Chech to see if one of the meantime screws is turned so far out that it will lightly touch one of the cocks or bridges in one position, but clear in all the others.

A test that might help is to pull the lever (leave the pallet cock in position) and turn the balance 180 deg from rest and let go. Count the number of oscillations until it stops in several different positions. This might tell you where the problem lies, as it will eliminate (or pinpoint) the guard pin as a possible source.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
One other thing to check is the jewels in the balance and the pallet fork. If you have a cracked jewel the diameter of the hole can be smaller then it is supposed to be thus creating more friction

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
Everything was checked except the the guard pin on both watches. I thought the problem would have to be with the pallets or the spring pinning point but never narrowed it down. I will look at the guard fingers when time permits. Thanks for the input.

George.

Posts: 52 | Location: Richland, Washington USA | Registered: April 19, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
George,
Please let us know what the problem really was when you find it.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Now the place is picking-up. I have a couple of problems that I would like to get resolved. And as soon as I can, I will put them up for grabs. Right now my Daughter is getting married in about three weeks; has bought a house,that needs WORK, and I have been selected from a list of candidates to do the fixing-up. They said it was a long list,so I should feel honored to have been picked. Needles to say, I have been working my tail off trying to get it finished for them to move into. It's called the handymans curse. Will get back to P/W's as soon as I can. Meantime, keep up the good work.

Frank Wink

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Frank,
See you in a few years!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003